Send IM to group not working but works for ADMIN RRS feed

• Question

• We have on-premier setup and the client works fine as 1-1 messaging. If I try to send an IM to group, it doesn't work. The intended participants never receive the message. Eventually the message is stored in Conversations, and shows the message, "The action couldn’t be completed. Please try again later.". IF I run the client as "Run as Administrator2, group messaging works. Why? What control is required for a standard user?

So far we've ruled out AV and used latest patched SFB version.

The client is installed on Windows 2008 R2 server with multiple user using the application.

• Edited by Carty1976 Wednesday, January 23, 2019 4:23 PM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2019 3:48 PM

All replies

• Hi Carty1976,

Do you mean only one SFB client in the Windows Server 2008 R2 have this issue?

If yes, we suggest you could check the settings in the Windows Server 2008 R2, check whether set some rules let the SFB client run as administrator and then could use some functions. In addition, you could also let users to login SFB client in another PC and check whether have this issue.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, January 24, 2019 6:45 AM
  • @Evan87 Jiang Thanks for taking the time to reply.

It's the same client on all Windows Server 2008 R2 servers, which we have also updated on advice on another TechNet article.

Using another PC is futile considering it's occurring on all target machines, but yet, works fine as ADMIN. A workaround or solution of letting end users run the client as ADMIN is not an option I can pursue. 

Sunday, January 27, 2019 11:06 PM
  • Hi Carty1976,

As this issue occurred in all the servers, please try to check whether some rules which let the SFB client must run as administrator have been set, such as GPO policies. 

In addition, please check the version of Skype for Business client, and please provide the information to us. You could also try to uninstall the client and reinstall another version of SFB client then check again.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by woshixiaobai Wednesday, January 30, 2019 5:30 AM
    Tuesday, January 29, 2019 6:49 AM
  • Hi Carty1976,

Is there any update for this issue? If the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who have the similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Thursday, January 31, 2019 7:00 AM
  • I've opened a support case with Premier Support. I've tried everything that has been suggested prior to raising this post but thank you for taking the time to reply.
    Thursday, January 31, 2019 2:37 PM
  • After a short discussion with Premier Support, I overlooked something I usually try first, Mandatory Profile. Now I need to understand what is being written or requires amending, we use Mandatory Profile so its not an option to remove. Thanks again for comments. The case is closed.
    • Proposed as answer by woshixiaobai Friday, February 1, 2019 1:36 AM
    Thursday, January 31, 2019 11:14 PM
  • Hi Carty1976,

Thanks for your sharing, we are glad to see your issue has been fixed. In addition, you could mark your reply as answer, it will help others who have the similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Friday, February 1, 2019 1:37 AM