Multiple Partitions problem RRS feed

• Question

• So I am deploying an image to a thin client that needs 2 partitions, c and d. I did and Imagex /capture on the c drive of the machine and an imagex capture for the d drive as well. I added the captured c drive to mdt and created a task to deploy it. After the install operating system task in the task sequence i added a command line to it to apply imagex using the d drive wim. I also modified the format and partition task to create the 2 partitions. When I run it it errors out saying it could not run the second partition task which is the command line to apply the d wim. Upon rebooting though the files are located in the d drive as if it did apply it. Any reason why this would happen? or what may be another way to better approach this?
    Tuesday, May 27, 2014 5:13 PM

Answers

• First of all, I generally do *NOT* recommend creating multiple partitions, the fact that this is a *thin client* more so.

Secondly, be aware that MDT may not give the 2nd partition a drive letter of "D" while in WinPE. Instead I would simply create the partitions during PreInstall, and then apply the *.Wim file during state restore like any application.

Finally, if you still need help, please include logs like bdd.log or smsts.log. Copy the files to a public share like OneDrive, and share the link here.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Well this thin client in particular needs this second partition due to files that it writes too. But yes it does not give it partition d, it gives it partition v. So what I did is after the Install Operating system I added a command line to run imagex.exe /apply to drive letter V: which is partition D:, then when Windows reboots it corrects itself to drive D.
    • Marked as answer by azepeda09 Wednesday, June 4, 2014 2:01 PM
    Wednesday, June 4, 2014 2:01 PM

All replies

• First of all, I generally do *NOT* recommend creating multiple partitions, the fact that this is a *thin client* more so.

Secondly, be aware that MDT may not give the 2nd partition a drive letter of "D" while in WinPE. Instead I would simply create the partitions during PreInstall, and then apply the *.Wim file during state restore like any application.

Finally, if you still need help, please include logs like bdd.log or smsts.log. Copy the files to a public share like OneDrive, and share the link here.

• Marked as answer by Keith GarnerMVP Monday, June 2, 2014 10:16 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by azepeda09 Wednesday, June 4, 2014 2:01 PM
    Monday, June 2, 2014 10:16 PM

Well this thin client in particular needs this second partition due to files that it writes too. But yes it does not give it partition d, it gives it partition v. So what I did is after the Install Operating system I added a command line to run imagex.exe /apply to drive letter V: which is partition D:, then when Windows reboots it corrects itself to drive D.
    • Marked as answer by azepeda09 Wednesday, June 4, 2014 2:01 PM
    Wednesday, June 4, 2014 2:01 PM