---How to put existing site on Newly EXTENDED Application (Extranet)--- RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

We have extended web application for the extranet purposes.

1. How can I put existing site over there? Is it possible at all? and if not:

2. How can I create a new site collection there? What are the steps? (Cos when I am trying to create a new site collection the way I usually do in CA it gives me just couple of options for the web application: SP80 and another one where the extranets + the others reside, but it is not specified that it's extranet only).

So how to do that?

Thank you.  :)

Monday, April 18, 2011 3:36 PM

Answers

• Eclipse, 

When you extend a web application, you are just extending it to be used by a different zone. The web application that you have created will still remain the same. Any change made to the application, will reflect while accessing through any zone. We extend web applications for providing various authentication mechanisms such as FBA and Claims Based Authentication. 

• For the first question, does the question mean "how do you access the web app externally and internally? 

Since you are actually referencing the same web application, you can access it by creating a DNS entry for the extended web application. 

•  As I said earlier, you create the site collection in the usual way. You will be able to access the site collection once you  have configured the authentication mechanism and have a DNS entry created. 

Hope I have answered your questions. 

Thanks

V

V
    • Marked as answer by eclipsen2002 Monday, April 18, 2011 5:07 PM
    Monday, April 18, 2011 4:25 PM

All replies

• Eclipse, 

When you extend a web application, you are just extending it to be used by a different zone. The web application that you have created will still remain the same. Any change made to the application, will reflect while accessing through any zone. We extend web applications for providing various authentication mechanisms such as FBA and Claims Based Authentication. 

• For the first question, does the question mean "how do you access the web app externally and internally? 

Since you are actually referencing the same web application, you can access it by creating a DNS entry for the extended web application. 

•  As I said earlier, you create the site collection in the usual way. You will be able to access the site collection once you  have configured the authentication mechanism and have a DNS entry created. 

Hope I have answered your questions. 

Thanks

V

V
    • Marked as answer by eclipsen2002 Monday, April 18, 2011 5:07 PM
    Monday, April 18, 2011 4:25 PM
  • So, please check me if I got it right:

I just create a site collection the way I usually do and don't worry about anything. BUT when people accessing this site from outside of the company's network the Sharepoint would know what to do, since the authentication is configured in the settings already.

Is that right?

Monday, April 18, 2011 4:33 PM
  • Yes thats right. All you need to do is make sure the Web application is accessible to the external users. 

Thanks

V

V
    Monday, April 18, 2011 4:35 PM
  • Thank you !!! :)
    Monday, April 18, 2011 4:39 PM