Can we have the ability to edit a saved theme please, Microsoft? RRS feed

• Question

• It's driving our users mad. Other people have mentioned this on other threads. You setup a nice new theme. Later, you want to set your screen saver or change a colour, for example, Windows makes a new theme called "Unsaved Theme". You end up having to delete your old theme and resave the unsaved theme with the same name. Also, sometimes, when you delete the unsaved theme, the saved one loses all of it's pictures.

It's a little crazy...
    • Edited by Rob.Ford Monday, November 16, 2009 6:35 PM typo
    Monday, November 16, 2009 7:07 AM

Answers

• Ok, I got what you meant, I would like to forward your feature request to our related DEV team. Thanks for your feedback.

Best Regards
    Dale
    • Marked as answer by Rob.Ford Thursday, November 19, 2009 7:03 PM
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 2:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based our tests on our test machine, there is no need to delete the old theme before saving the unsaved theme with the same name. You can save the modified theme with the same name, the modified theme will be added under My themes displaying the same name with different configuration.

For references:

Customize a theme

Best Regards
    Dale
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 9:00 AM
  • Thanks Dale, yes, you don't *need* to delete the old theme but if you don't, you end up with a new theme with the same (or different) name every single time you make a change to it. Why can't you make changes to the current theme? It's sloppy.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 6:58 PM
  • Ok, I got what you meant, I would like to forward your feature request to our related DEV team. Thanks for your feedback.

Best Regards
    Dale
    • Marked as answer by Rob.Ford Thursday, November 19, 2009 7:03 PM
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 2:19 AM
  • Thanks, Dale, that's excellent.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 7:03 PM
  • You can save a themepack and extract it's contents with a file archiver like 7zip and then modify the .theme file.

Seesons greetings!
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 9:05 PM
  • You can save a themepack and extract it's contents with a file archiver like 7zip and then modify the .theme file.

Seesons greetings!

Defcon 1- That is a workable alternative. But doesn't it seem that the ability to do something as simple as edit a theme should be less ponderous and more transparent (read simple). I think there is a little hint in the original question that we used to be able to do this with no problem- why can't we do it now? What we'd like is a solution within Windows not a work-around.
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 10:47 PM
  • Yes, it's getting very, very tiresome. If you even do something simple like add a screen saver you end up with "Unsaved Theme". I really can't believe you missed this out, Microsoft!
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 6:34 AM
  • I hope this brought the problem to their attention and that they change it, its such an annoying problem which seems simple
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 9:18 AM
  • almost 2 years since this was proposed, no fix yet eh?
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 3:42 PM
  • almost 2 years since this was proposed, no fix yet eh?

No, and Windows 8 (so far) is no better...
    • Edited by Rob.Ford Wednesday, October 12, 2011 6:02 PM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 6:02 PM
  • I'm using Win-7 and in the Personalization window (right-click on desktop, select Personalize), at the bottom left, there is the icon "Desktop Background".  When I click this I see my saved theme.  I can select, or deselect, change whether it is stretched, etc. and then save.

I think this is what you are looking to do.

Tuesday, January 16, 2018 12:17 PM