none
Server 2012 standard Bare Metal Restore cannot locate WindowsImageBackup RRS feed

• Question

• We have Server 2012 standard Domain controllers. The PDC is being backed up daily using windows backup utility. We keep 7 last backups. The backup selection is full backup including system State and all drives. Back target location is Drive letter V which is a LUN mounted as Disk. 

We are trying to test restore to an isolated Lab build on HyperV. The Hyper V host is connected to production network but in a work group. We created "Internal Virtual Switch" in Hyper V so that guest machines can only communicate between and hyperV host but not to the production network. 

I started by copying the "WindowsInageBackup" folder from V drive of production domain controller backup location to C drive of HyperV host and shared it. I then build a vanilla windows 2012 server as guest on hyperV host. I booted the guest VM  with OS CD and pressed F8 to chose Repair computer> Troubleshoot>System Recovery >  System Image Recovery> System attempt to find recovery files, I then "Select an image" >Advanced>Search System Image on network> enter UNC path as \\<HyperV-Host-IPAddress\ShareName. I get prompted to login, but after login no restore files found. 

I tried several combination of share and tried to share upstream downstream folders. When I use command line in recovery mode, I can ping host machine, I can map share, see share files and folders in command line. 

When I use wbadmin get version XXXXX I get error about Time Zone is -8GMT no backup files found. 

So for some reason, the image files are not being detected. 

I even tried to take a system state backup of guest machine using target location as Host Machine. Still I dont find restore files when recovering.. 

I am not sure where its going wrong... 

Any clue will be greatly appreciated as I have spent lot of time figuring out the fix. 

Thanks a lot

SA

NSW DECC

Friday, September 20, 2019 2:47 PM

Answers

• Spot on... I shard again in a way that it open WindowsImageBackup straight by clicking share. Used that UNC path and it worked.... Thanks for your help. I was trying sharing folder structure further down.

Thank for your help (::) You made my day..

NSW DECC

• Marked as answer by Birla Friday, September 20, 2019 3:21 PM
    Friday, September 20, 2019 3:21 PM

All replies