How do you include the description text and title of incident in email notification? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I already created a workflow to send a message to the end-user and assigned IT staff member whenever an incident is created.  But what I need to know is how to include the text that is entered in the description field (and the title) on the incident.  How do I do this?

Thanks,

David

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 10:24 PM

Answers

• Open the notification template -> Template Design -> go to the place where you want to add the information in the text -> Klick on "Insert" button -> Choose "Related classes: Incident -> Search for Title or Description  in the Available properties: field (or scroll to the section Work Item in the right window) and mark Title or Description -> Click on "Add" button.

After this the related "tags" are inserted in the notification template and will contain the information of the related incident if the mail is sended.

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 10:40 PM
    • Create an incident template with "someone" in the Assigned To User field
    • Create an incident workflow -> Trigger on incident created
    • Criteria for instance: If source equal Portal (add some more criterias if you like/need)
    • Apply the incident template you created before

Same should work for incident categories as well. E.g. Criteria Incident Categorie equal "Hardware..." Apply template with Assigned To Filed = xyz

Hope that helps.

Friday, May 13, 2011 6:49 PM

All replies

• Open the notification template -> Template Design -> go to the place where you want to add the information in the text -> Klick on "Insert" button -> Choose "Related classes: Incident -> Search for Title or Description  in the Available properties: field (or scroll to the section Work Item in the right window) and mark Title or Description -> Click on "Add" button.

After this the related "tags" are inserted in the notification template and will contain the information of the related incident if the mail is sended.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 10:40 PM
  • Thanks! That was easier than I thought. I tested it a couple of days back, but just getting back into forum now.

Ok, I have another question regarding how to automatically assign certain tickets to certain IT staff persons based on the incident category. When users use the self service portal, incidents are not assigned to anyone. I want to have the incidents automatically assigned if they're created via the SSP.

Should I post this question in a separate thread?

Thanks,

David

Friday, May 13, 2011 6:21 PM
    • Create an incident template with "someone" in the Assigned To User field
    • Create an incident workflow -> Trigger on incident created
    • Criteria for instance: If source equal Portal (add some more criterias if you like/need)
    • Apply the incident template you created before

Same should work for incident categories as well. E.g. Criteria Incident Categorie equal "Hardware..." Apply template with Assigned To Filed = xyz

Hope that helps.

Friday, May 13, 2011 6:49 PM
  • Andreas,

Thanks for the info!  It works fine.  However, this only works if the users select the correct incident category in the first place :-)  Otherwise, we'll have to go in and manually assign people to tickets.

Thanks!

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 12:34 AM