none
Can DPM perform full backups of client computers on the LAN like Home Server or Storage Server Essentials can? RRS feed

• Question

• I was directed to this forum after asking if the subject question could be done with Server Backup.  Apparently, Server Backup does not allow backup of client PC's and it's "connect to remote PC" capability only allows "connect to another Server 2008".

The ability to back up a client PC from the server seems like a necessary tool required in any client/server network but my research into various Microsoft products shows that only the lowest level products (Windows Home Server or Windows Storage Server Essentials or Windows Small Business Server Essentials) can perform this task.  As soon as you graduate into the higher level products (like full Small Business Server) you lose the ability to back up your client PCs.  Am I wrong in this assessment?

It really seems strange to me that you "lose" features such as this when you buy higher level products.

So, here I am in the DPM forum after having reviewed DPM's data sheets.  To me, DPM doesn't look like it performs a full backup of the client PC, but rather backs up only the specified folders (docs, outlook, etc.).  Is this correct?

The Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials that I'm currently testing provides the ability to do a full client PC backup and subsequently perform a disaster recovery re-install to a bare metal machine, for either a client PC or the server itself.  Can DPM do this?

If I wanted to go the DPM route, do I install that on top of a Server 2008 R2 server?  And is System Center required and included with it, or another item to buy?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can clarify the above issues for me.

Friday, November 11, 2011 7:49 AM

Answers

• Hi Larry,

DPM does not do system state or BMR backups of client operating systems.

DPM 2010 can install on top of WIndows Server 2008 R2 and the System Center Suite is not required to install DPM 2010.

Hope this helps,

Marc

Monday, November 14, 2011 1:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Larry,

DPM does not do system state or BMR backups of client operating systems.

DPM 2010 can install on top of WIndows Server 2008 R2 and the System Center Suite is not required to install DPM 2010.

Hope this helps,

Marc

Monday, November 14, 2011 1:20 PM
  • Marc,

Thanks for your reply.  I guess its a partial answer to my question, but still leaves this major question...

Microsoft... are you listening???

Why do only the low end server solutions (Storage Server Essentials, WIndows Home Server, any others?) provide the system state backup and Bare Metal Restore capabilities for the connected clients?

Are we supposed to virtualize WIndows Home Server on top of a full Windows Server 2008 to gain this feature?

Normally, as you progress upwards in product offerings, you get more power, more features, more capabilities.... but certainly not in the case of client backup!

Monday, November 14, 2011 9:59 PM