locked
Very New to App-V- DameWare issues RRS feed

  • Question

  • All,

    We have just implemented APP-V integration with SCCM R2.  We have successfully sequenced a couple of application for a proof of concept, but we are running into many issues with sequencing other applications.  There is not much information on the net about sequencing steps to try and resolve an issue, so I am thinking we may pull out the APP-V integration if we cannot get this working on more applications.

    We have an issue when sequencing DameWare. The application sequenced fine, but when we try to install a service on a remove system (such as mini-remote) we get errors.  This is a huge issue that we are running into. 

    We also ran into an issue with sequencing the SCCM Console.  The console sequenced fine, but when we tried to sequence the SCCM console extensions, the PSEXEC could not access outside the bubble during capture.  This disabled the ability to Right Click a system, and install client via PSEXEC.  We used that functionality a lot. 

    A lot of applications we can sequence 90%, but not the other 10%, and the 10% is necessary.

    Any thoughts or help would be appreciated. 

    Monday, January 26, 2009 2:24 PM

Answers

  • Getting an application to sequence correctly may take some time and trial and error - Process Monitor is your friend ;)

    Until applications vendors start offering information on virtualising their applications the best place to be finding information is here or SoftGridGuru.

    Monday, January 26, 2009 6:03 PM
    Moderator

All replies

  • There is some discussion on DameWare on these pages, but there doesn't appear to be a solution:

    http://www.softgridguru.com/viewtopic.php?t=3256&highlight=dameware

    http://www.softgridguru.com/viewtopic.php?t=2817&highlight=dameware

     

    You will find that some applications cannot be sequenced as App-V does not yet cover 100% of application scenarios (I'm sure no application virtualisation product can cover all applications). The App-V team has a post that covers what you cannot virtualise here: http://blogs.technet.com/softgrid/archive/2007/09/27/list-of-applications-that-can-be-virtualized.aspx

    I think about 85% - 90% of applications is what we are finding will virtualise.

    Monday, January 26, 2009 5:46 PM
    Moderator
  •  Yes, I saw the references to the DameWare topics that you provided, however; as you mentioned...there does not appear to be a solution.  Thanks for the post.

    We are actually having trouble with about 50% of the items we need.  I am sure some of it is due to lack of experience with Sequencing, but there really does not appear to be too much posted on tips/tricks to try if something does not sequence correctly the first time.

    Monday, January 26, 2009 5:49 PM
  • Getting an application to sequence correctly may take some time and trial and error - Process Monitor is your friend ;)

    Until applications vendors start offering information on virtualising their applications the best place to be finding information is here or SoftGridGuru.

    Monday, January 26, 2009 6:03 PM
    Moderator