none
Tape management new library DPM2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

we have changed our library from a "Dell (tm) PowerVault (tm) 124T Autoloader" with a LTO3 drive to a "Dell ML6000 Tape Library" with 2 LTO4 drives.

The old library is not visible/available in DPM2010 anymore.

However, in the weekly "Tape Management Report" there a still several tapes marked as ready for offsite for the old library, which is not present anymore.

How can I change the status for those tapes, so they won't show up in the "Tape Management Report"?

I really do miss a method of changing the status of tapes, or a method of removing expired tapes from DPM without going into the database (with the chance that you really mess up things).

Karl Schilla

• Edited by Charly_F_S Monday, February 6, 2012 11:06 AM
    Monday, February 6, 2012 11:04 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Please find solution here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmtapebackuprecovery/thread/65382430-f2ad-4eed-bba5-713b11381262

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, February 6, 2012 4:26 PM
  • Hello,

I already had read that thread, but did not hink that would apply to us, since I only wanted to change the status for those tapes, so they won't show up in the "Tape Management Report".

However I did follow the procedure, but unfortunately right afterwards when I want to recover a file, the MMC for DPM crashes with the following error:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: DPMException

Application Name: mmc

Application Version: 3.0.7696.0

Module Name: mmc.exe

Module Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Exception Name: Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.DB.DBCorruptionException

Exception Point: Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.DB.Catalog.IntegrityCheck

Other: 4655BDB8

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.272.7

Locale ID: 1043

lucky for me, I made a backup of the database before I started :).

any input on this?

Regards,

Karl Schilla.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 12:37 PM
  • Hi Karl,

Sorry about the bad experiance, I suppose the recovery points would need to be expired before removing the media entries.  So in your case, you will have to wait for the tapes to show "over due" - then run through script.  I'll see if I can find a way to expire the offline tapes based on barcodes or tape labels.  

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 4:59 PM
  • Hello Mike,

The tapes are marked as over due

If I inderstand you correctly they should be marked as free, before they are removed from the database. (I assume that marking them as free will delete the datasets from the database?).

Maybe we can use the scripts from this thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmtapebackuprecovery/thread/61e434ab-76b8-47d4-af00-a384ee0af461

It would be very helpfull is we can delete the tapes without instering them in our new library first.

I have seen that when the tapes are inserted in the new library, new records are created in the database for them.

We cannot use (or do not want to use) LTO3 tapes in our new library equipped with LTO4 drives, unless for restoring.

If it's possibe to add records for new tapes without messing up the database, it should also be able to remove tapes :)

Regards,

Karl Schilla

• Edited by Charly_F_S Thursday, February 16, 2012 11:41 AM
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 11:40 AM
  • Hi,

Originally you stated that the tapes were marked as "offsite ready" - and trying to remove those tapes from the DB using the script caused your problem.

<snip>
    However, in the weekly "Tape Management Report" there a still several tapes marked as ready for offsite for the old library, which is not present anymore.
    >snip<

So I recommended to wait until they show over due.  Today, you show me tapes that show over due, so what tapes did you try to remove from the DB using the script, tapes marked offsite ready, or tapes showing over due ?

I have not had any customers report problems using the script against "over due" tapes before.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 7:17 PM
  • Hello,

when I started this thread there were several tapes marked as "offsite ready" in a library that was not available any more.

I did put the tapes into the new library, did an inventory reset the suspect status of the tapes and removed them from the new library, and the next week (when the report was generated again) they were not on the marked as offsite ready list anymore.

The tapes are however still on the "over due" list, and I runned the script to remove only the tapes that were on the "over due" list.

The MMC crash only appeared when I opened the "Recovery" tab in the DPM console.

If I look at the DPMDB table MM_Media I can see some of the tapes mentioned twice, but they are in fact the same tape (BYH185).

I will try to see if it makes any difference which tape I delete (they all are "over due anyway")

regards,

Karl Schilla

• Edited by Charly_F_S Friday, February 17, 2012 8:34 AM
    Friday, February 17, 2012 8:33 AM
  • Hello,

I retried to delete just one tape, and right afterwards I got the MMC crash when I tried to restore a file:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Windows Error Reporting
    Date:          22-Feb-2012 14:50:42
    Event ID:      1001
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Information
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      ASMNLDPM01.eu.asm.com
    Description:
    Fault bucket , type 0
    Event Name: DPMException
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: mmc
    P2: 3.0.7696.0
    P3: mmc.exe
    P4: 6.1.7600.16385
    P5: Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.DB.DBCorruptionException
    P6: Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.DB.Catalog.IntegrityCheck
    P7: 4655BDB8
    P8:
    P9:
    P10:

Maybe it has something to do on which version of the DPM server the SQL query is runned.

It looks like there is some checking in the database when you try to restore a file.

Regards,

Karl Schilla

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 2:07 PM