Skype for Business, Office 365 and Shared Mailboxes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Currently we have all our user mailboxes in Office 365. They are all licensed for Enterprise Voice, Exchange Plan 2, giving them unified messaging.

We also have a number of "area" S4B phones that have an associated AD account, and are just there to serve multiple users in an office. They are UM enabled, and the voicemail forwards onto key users associated with the phone. To avoid licensing for the these phones, as they are not active user accounts, we've kept their mailboxes on-premise.

I've learnt recently that we could move these accounts into Office 365 as either Meeting Room phones or using Shared Mailboxes, which won't require a license to be used.

Is this correct, and is there guide anywhere that steps through how we convert an on-premise account?

Kind Regards,

Andrew

Andrew France - http://andrewsprivatecloud.wordpress.com

Thursday, July 5, 2018 8:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Andrew,

I've learnt recently that we could move these accounts into Office 365 as either Meeting Room phones or using Shared Mailboxes, which won't require a license to be used.

Is this correct

Yes ,if you use the shared Mailboxes purity.it do not require a license

Could you give me more information about your topology?

Do you use the SFB online? Or SFB hybrid(SFB on-premise and SFB online) environment?

If you want to move your on-premise user to the online user in SFB hybrid ,you could refer to this link.

If you have a SFB on-premise server ,firstly ,please deploy SFB hybrid environment use the following link, then refer the above link to move the account.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypeforbusiness/skype-for-business-hybrid-solutions/deploy-hybrid-connectivity/deploy-hybrid-connectivity

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, July 6, 2018 2:46 AM
  • Hi Leon,

Thanks for your reply. We have SFB on Prem, and a Hybrid mail environment. I don't believe we've configured SFB hybrid, however I did run through "Configure Lync/SfB with Office 365 for server to server authentication" to remove a load od OAuth errors on the SFB server for users that have mailboxes in Office 365.

Otherwise we don't use SFB Online.

I'm curious why we would need to configure SFB Online, when we currently have UM enabled users that have mailboxes in Office 365 which work with SFB on-prem? I thought if it would just be a case of moving the mailbox to Office and converting it to be shared.

Kind Regards,

Andrew

Andrew France - http://andrewsprivatecloud.wordpress.com

Friday, July 6, 2018 8:49 AM
  • Hi Andrew,

Based on your description, you integrated SFB with exchange environment?but failed?If you have SFB on-premise envrionment ,you should integrate with exchange on-premise server and exchange online ,

I thought if it would just be a case of moving the mailbox to Office and converting it to be shared.” I am not familiar with exchange , what’s features do you want to achieve ?when you to move SFB the on-premise account to the online

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 11:54 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any update for this issue, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who has similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Monday, July 23, 2018 7:04 AM