INCLUDEPICTURE field disappears when converting from doc. to docx. RRS feed

• Question

• When I convert a document from doc to docx. all INCLUDEPICTURE fields disappear and are beeing replaced by an image. I cannot use Shift-F9 anymore to see/edit the url.

In other posts I have read that this has been confirmed a bug in Word 2007. Does anybody have any information on how this is being dealt with in Word 2010 ?

Inserting a new field INCLUDEPICTURE in Word 2010 is still supported.

Werner

Monday, September 13, 2010 11:34 AM

Answers

• On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 13:00:40 +0000, Werner Schaad wrote:

is there any indication when this will be fixed ?

According to Microsoft, it will not be fixed because it is "by design". Many of us think this is unfortunate, but I see no chance of a reversal.

If you want to change the link to show a different picture, you need to use the Edit Links dialog from the Office button (File button in Word 2010). This is a poor substitute, but all that's offered.

Jay Freedman
    MS Word MVP  FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
    • Marked as answer by Tobias Keller Tuesday, September 14, 2010 9:38 AM
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 3:12 AM

All replies

• There is no change in Word 2010.

<Werner Schaad> wrote in message news:9d2df488-2eb7-4743-b10d-0161b38ff143@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

When I convert a document from doc to docx. all INCLUDEPICTURE fields disappear and are beeing replaced by an image. I cannot use Shift-F9 anymore to see/edit the url.

In other posts I have read that this has been confirmed a bug in Word 2007. Does anybody have any information on how this is being dealt with in Word 2010 ?

Inserting a new field INCLUDEPICTURE in Word 2010 is still supported.

Werner

Graham Mayor - Word MVP
    www.gmayor.com
    Posted via the Communities Bridge
    http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/
    Monday, September 13, 2010 11:43 AM
  • is there any indication when this will be fixed ?
    Monday, September 13, 2010 1:00 PM
  • On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 13:00:40 +0000, Werner Schaad wrote:

is there any indication when this will be fixed ?

According to Microsoft, it will not be fixed because it is "by design". Many of us think this is unfortunate, but I see no chance of a reversal.

If you want to change the link to show a different picture, you need to use the Edit Links dialog from the Office button (File button in Word 2010). This is a poor substitute, but all that's offered.

Jay Freedman
    MS Word MVP  FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
    • Marked as answer by Tobias Keller Tuesday, September 14, 2010 9:38 AM
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 3:12 AM
  • Good morning,

I find one year later for you, a possible solution.

Before saving in docx replace includepicture with another word which can be replace via edit replace. ie TRUCC

Save your doc as docx . In this docx the field is not converted to a link and you can change TRUCC with includepicture to retrieve your pictures links as codes.

Best regards

Patrice Brel

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:41 AM
  • Good morning,

I have the same problem as M. Werner Schaad

I'm working in a service where more than 30 persons work with Word 2007. As you confirm in this answer, because we use a lot of pictures linked in the word document like we work since 15 years ago, the new approach of Microsoft imply that I have to change my process of work for the transfer between Word 2003 to Word 2007 and to contnue to use the "includepicture" field. I need to edit the link directly in the text to change the picture name or the path.

Please could you confirm that there are no changes since September 2010. For now the only solution I found is to save our documents as *.doc word 97-2003 format.

Before to oblige my colleagues to work like this, I would like to receive your confirmation our approach to resolve this problem.

Thank you very much

Patrcie Brel

Friday, July 1, 2011 7:09 AM
  • Do you have any solution for rtf files?

After saved documents in Word 2010 INCLUDEPICTURE disappear (beeing replaced by an image).

But there is OK if I open rtf file created in Word 2003! And when I open in 2003 rtf file created in 2010 - its OK.... Only creating and opening in 2010 is wrong (field disappear).

I must have rtf files (without converting them to .doc 97-2003 because they are conected with database)

• Edited by fordata.dk Wednesday, May 25, 2016 10:29 AM
    Wednesday, May 25, 2016 10:27 AM
  • This trick works! It is a one-time deal: you need to do it when going from .doc to .docx, but afterwards, you can toggle back and forth between to field codes and the result in Word 2010. If you then need to add a new figure, copy-and-paste an existing code, and make the appropriate changes...
    Monday, November 7, 2016 4:30 PM
  • TheNextKenJennings,

Which trick are you referring to? Patrice Brel's post from Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:41 AM?

If so, please explain the steps better.  Does the user have to use Find|Replace each and every time after merging a form to change TRUCC to INCLUDEPICTURE?

Thanks

Thursday, January 25, 2018 2:17 PM
  • Jay,

Do you have the URL to where Microsoft is saying this is "by design"?

Thanks

Thursday, January 25, 2018 2:18 PM