Export This Page as a spreadsheet RRS feed

• Question

•  

We have certain views that fail to export to a spreadsheet. There is no error message per se but the spreadsheet file that is created is zero bytes. Other views export fine. I see nothing in the event logs. Any ideas?
    Friday, March 14, 2008 7:39 PM

Answers

• When you say you get a message about the file format I assume this is Excel 2007 warning about the .xls format?  Also, do the same views fail to export every time from the standard client?

A couple of ideas:

-Increase the 'AspMaxRequestEntityAllowed' value in the IIS Metabase on the PAS server to 1073741824 (1GB).  This setting controls the volume of data that can be uploaded with an ASP request.  You can stop the IIS Admin service then manually edit the Metabase.xml file, or use the Metabase Explorer utility from the IIS6 resource kit.  You'll need to reset IIS after changing the value.

-Install the latest PAS hotfix

Hope this helps.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 3:08 PM

All replies

• When you export to Excel do you get a blank window and then nothing happens so you close it and then an empty file is left behind?  What happens if you just let the export run?

Are you exporting from the standard client or professional?  Do multiple workstations have the same issue with exporting these views?  What is the size of the result set of these views?  Any slicers?

Friday, March 14, 2008 9:15 PM
  • Sorry for the delay in my response...

Q "When you export to Excel do you get a blank window and then nothing happens so you close it and then an empty file is left behind? "

A: Another IE Window opens then a dialog box prompts you to either open or download the file. Either way we get a message about the file format then excel opens and there is a blank spreadsheet.

Q: "Are you exporting from the standard client or professional?"

A: We have the problem with the standard client. Web Pro and Desktop Pro work.

Q:"Do multiple workstations have the same issue with exporting these views?"

A: Yes. I have tried it on two machines as well as the user who reported the issue.

Q: "What is the size of the result set of these views?  Any slicers?"

A: About 8196 rows and 5 columns. Other similarly sized exports do work. Yes there are slicers.

Thanks

Thursday, March 20, 2008 2:09 PM
  • When you say you get a message about the file format I assume this is Excel 2007 warning about the .xls format?  Also, do the same views fail to export every time from the standard client?

A couple of ideas:

-Increase the 'AspMaxRequestEntityAllowed' value in the IIS Metabase on the PAS server to 1073741824 (1GB).  This setting controls the volume of data that can be uploaded with an ASP request.  You can stop the IIS Admin service then manually edit the Metabase.xml file, or use the Metabase Explorer utility from the IIS6 resource kit.  You'll need to reset IIS after changing the value.

-Install the latest PAS hotfix

Hope this helps.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 3:08 PM