Does anybody LIKE Windows 8? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I spent about an hour with windows 8 and tired to be open and objective but I just couldn't take it anymore and I shut down and removed my test hard drive and decided that if this is the direction that Microsoft is going then I better learn Linux. 

I predict that Windows 8 will be the biggest flop ever for Microsoft. Yes a bigger flop than Vista or even ME. 

I have an idea for a name and concept for an OS. Design a very lean high performance OS and call it Microsoft GT. It doesn't necessarily have to use windows interface but it could. It could have quick access tools or widgets mated to a keyboard optimized for GT. No fancy eye candy but a stylish mono-color theme that has limited customization. 

Come on Microsoft...you have been at it a long time and you should know what people want. Give us something that is solid and clean.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 8:52 PM

All replies

• After using Windows 8 Dev and now the CP editions, I think that the new OS isn't bad at all.  The Metro style takes some getting used to, but the more me and my co-workers test it, the more we like it.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 8:53 PM
  • I like Windows 8 and it's more stable on my Thinkpad T510 for some
    reason.

The start screen doesn't bother me, but I use the desktop most of the
    time.

I like the new client version of Hyper-V a *lot*.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 9:03 PM
  • I would have to agree if this is the way Microsoft is going, I think i will be using another operating system. None of my peripherals would work especially the camera that is on my laptop. The system kept on rebooting and it gave me a error every time I tried to use it. They definitely need to rethink what they want the program to do. Microsoft use to be so easy to use now it is getting complicated to use.
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 9:30 PM
  • I would have to agree if this is the way Microsoft is going, I think i will be using another operating system. None of my peripherals would work especially the camera that is on my laptop. The system kept on rebooting and it gave me a error every time I tried to use it. They definitely need to rethink what they want the program to do. Microsoft use to be so easy to use now it is getting complicated to use.

I fear you misunderstand the nature of the Win 8 CP, this being a beta release, and as such, a work in progress. Until hardware manufacturers have developed updated drivers for their cameras (or sound chips and whatever else), you will continue to see issues with Win 8 for some time to come. If you didn't understand that prior to installing it, then you probably shouldn't be using it. Perhaps you can look at the OS again once it reaches RC status?

HTH

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 9:42 PM
  • Unfortunately, I work on what appears to be the "Good/NoGood" rule.  From what I've found, Microsoft seems to put out a good OS, then more often as not, puts out a garbage OS.  Win95-Good, Win98-Garbage, Win98SE-Good, WinME-Garbage, Win2000-Good, WinXP-Good, WinVista-Garbage, Win7-Good.  So, based on 'first-look' at Win8 and my basically illogical personal quantification, Win8 won't be any good.  I've never believed in fixing something that wasn't broken. For me to even consider recomending Win8 to my clients there HAS to be an easily changable interface which allows for users to make it appear and work like Win7. That was one of the big drawbacks to Vista and Office 2007. They looked so different it was put in the ' too hard ' basket for people who just wanted to work ( not to mention the UAC ).  Win8 has to allow for users to transition to this type of interface only if they WANT to.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 11:06 PM
  • @Bob Toth

I'm going to have to disagree slightly with your listing. In my opinion, Win95, Win98 & Win98SE were all good, WinME was rubbish, Win2000 was good (but it doesn't exactly fit in this consumer-oriented list), WinXP was great, Vista was ok (but not as good as it should have been), and Win7 was great.

I believe that Win 8 could be a good OS, but as it stands, with the lack of Metro based Apps and Games, I can't see it succeeding. That's also Microsoft's major problem. In its quest to innovate Windows and bring in a new UI, it needs to wield a double-edged sword. MS needs to push Metro as much as it can, to make it succeed and garner developer support, but at the same time, pushing a vastly different UI onto a crowd that have used the "legacy" desktop for so long, can cause issues, as we have seen. Most people will end up spending most of their time in the desktop, and Metro will only be seen when the PC first starts, and when it needs to be shut down (for people like me, that's a constant occurrence. I never use the low power features of PCs).

I do like Windows 8, and on my PC, it is faster than running Win 7, and it does boot up a heck of a lot faster. I do try to use Metro as much as I can, but with so little apps and games available, I have found myself in the desktop a lot more often. In saying that, though, Metro does look like a good UI, and I can see potential uses for it in my family. I do understand that businesses will struggle with the tabletfied, consumer-oriented Metro UI, but consumers will love Metro, once the App support is there (this one will be a hard struggle as there are companies that still refuse to support beta OS's; Oracle/VirtualBox is one that comes to mind already)

I can't say whether Win 8 will be a failure or not. It's still too early to tell. Businesses may not lap it up, but consumers might. Until Win 8 is actually released, no one can truly say whether it will be another Vista or not. I hope that Microsoft are listening to all the feedback about Win 8 and Metro, and keep innovating & evolving it, through the Win 8 development and beyond. I also hope that more developers can start developing more Metro Apps, so that at RC time, we have more usage in Metro.

Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:47 AM
  • It seems that Microsoft has yet again not learned from there many mistakes (vista, office 2007, ect). What they need to learn is that we consumers don't learn too fast as a general rule and thus need time to adapt to vast changes.

This is vastly helped with traditional software, something with a foot in both sides such that people can learn where things are in the new version while being able to do critical tasks the old way.

How about this a suggestion since this problem is only going to get bigger have the entire basic OS GUI changeable to the OS you are most native to. Just think in an amount of years people's ages will be judged based on which window version they are most familiar with.

Please Microsoft bring back the start menu and make the GUI more easily changed to the way we know it.

Thursday, March 29, 2012 2:16 AM
  • (Just an aside before getting to the point: was XP really good/great?  It was a massive security hole until SP2 shipped three years later. And those years were awash in serious exploits. On that basis, I'd give XP a miss, but "XP SE," if you will--that is, XP SP2 and beyond--a thumbs-up.)

Anyway, do I like Win 8?  That's difficult to answer, since I'm not using it that much despite using it as my main OS. How is that possible?  Is sitting in the Desktop 99% of the time and making it as much like Win 7 as possible really using Win 8?  I don't think so. And, if anything, I'm missing parts of Win 7 that have been sent into the cornfield. So, I don't see much to like about Win 8 on a PC. The real story though is whether it can make a dent in the iPad, without which we wouldn't have ever heard the word "Metro" because MS never would have been pushed to hit the reset button on the UI.

Thursday, March 29, 2012 6:15 AM
  • Does anybody LIKE Windows  8? Not me, nor anyone I know who has tried it. Unless some drastic improvements are made it will be a disaster in the corporate world (where XP would still be being bought if it was available).

It's a poor imitation of a phone/tablet style interface that just doesn't cut it on the desktop.

Looks like a drastically failed attempt to do something "creative" for the brand new world of multiple computing devices.

Fix it fast, or you'll push the world to Linux and Mac.

Thursday, March 29, 2012 6:17 AM
  • I have to agree, it's damm ugly and not at all intuitive.........I think this is one we'll skip over and stick with Windows 7. If they (MS) fail to get back on track then we'll look at another solution, probably open source based.

I think the competition from companies like Apple have forced MS down a poorly thought out design route - it has to be said if I were to use nothing but mobile devices which this is so obviously designed for, I'd opt for open source; far far quicker and you're not tied into 'the' companies apps etc.

I suspect this will turn out to be another Millenium or Vista!

Thursday, March 29, 2012 6:50 AM
  • Well, I for one do like Win8. I agree it is not intuitive. However, I use the Metro interface like I used shortcuts on my desktop in Win7 and if I want more lowdown stuff then I just left click/more apps on the metro start screen. When new programs are installed an icon appears on the Metro start screen, just like they did in Win7/XP start menu. And really, the desktop is very similar to desktops of old, only without the Orb in the corner. Instead of the orb I just click the Windows button on the keyboard.

Looking back at the original poster I do think that 1 hour is not nearly enough to get to know and assess the OS. After I had looked at the original Developer Preview for an hour I was quite disillusioned and like many here thought "what the f..." but after I learned how to do a few things I wanted to explore more and that is a sign that you are getting interested; or at least it is for me.

Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:51 PM
  • Silverpulser:

Agreed, 1 hour is not enough to fully understand how broken Win8 is.

Please keep in mind, the average user had to spend seconds, perhaps minutes to find their way around vista from XP, or 7 from vista.  It was only power users who had somewhat significant changes in where to find specific items.  Some were very upset, I wasn't one of them.  Much like the Office 2007 changes, many positively hated it and still do, but I started working with it because it was on my work laptop, and for 2 days I couldn't wait to get home to work on files and presentations with my old familiar office XP.  By the third day, I was over the hump and actually started to dislike the old sea of controls in Office XP, and withing another week or so, spent a LOT of hard earned cash to upgrade to Office 2007 not only for myself, but my wife too.  Notice that's over $1000 I spent because I understood the ribbon and ended up being faster with it, and that was after just a few days of immersion.

In other words, I'm not the person you can label "unwilling to change".  I'm the person that will pay $1000's of dollars where there is clear benefit, as is the case with upgrading all of the machines in my home from XP to Win7, at a cost tab of very significantly higher than the Office 2007 upgrades (which weren't upgrades but full retail).

On the other hand, I spent months with Win8DP, and a month now with Win8CP.  An no matter how hard I tried, no matter how flexible I forced myself to try and be, I see absolutely ZERO IMPROVEMENT for my way of working that Win8 offers me.  Read that again please.  ZERO IMPROVEMENT.  Not only ZERO IMPROVEMENT, but Win8 has done nothing but make it far more difficult.

My problem with people willing to adopt Win8 can't show me where anything is a abonafide IMPROVEMENT over the start menu.  Lists of works arounds, things that are "almost like", and the obligatory "get with the times, this is the future".  Look, if Win8 isn't slowing you down, I have no explaination for how that's possible, but if you see it as an improvement, I'm fine with that.  What I don't understand is why the desktop experience was effectively destroyed.

I think people need to back up a few steps and adopt a policy of 100% unmittigated truth with themselves.  The question isn't "can I live with the changes Win8 represents to the way I work", but "has Win8 solved a problem with the way I work, has it made things EASIER".

Again, I'm willing to let people have their own opinions, all I ask is you ask yourself the proper question before firming up that opinion.  If Win8 actually, truly, undeniably improved your workflow, thats great.  If it did not (and I can't see how it could have) then be honest in your analysis and just state the facts.  There are no awards for "diverse thinking", no recognition for willingness to adapt to something that represents a step back.  There is only honesty.

Microsoft should find it very disturbing that there seems to be two arguements being discussed.  Win8 is broken, and Win8 is workable.

What's missing?  What is missing is the tablet users either heaping praise or offering tablet specific improvement requests.

Given that they bet their company on entering the tablet market as a force to be reconned with, THIS MISSING FEEDBACK must be pretty dang near terrifying.  I have no interest in tablets myself, and the lack of tablet oriented feedback has ME uncomfortable.  Not only did they kill the way I work in their hopelessly misguided attempt at marrying to wholly separate paradigms, but the market they wanted so badly to go after is essentially silent.

DAS

Thursday, March 29, 2012 2:36 PM
  • I like win8.  But this does not mean the average consumer will.

A couple of problems I see:

The office 2013 on the RT tablet only version launches and runs in a desktop that looks like a normal desktop.  The sales clerks at multiple stores do not seem to be aware that this desktop is only for file organization of your Office created content and isn't a desktop that can run any non-Modern-UI apps.  The much more pricey intel based tablets that I have not found anywhere yet will have the desktop that works with older windows code.

Also, in multiple stores, we found the windows 8 machines stuck on a screen with the salespeople clueless as to how to exit the screens. That's not a good sign.

Using the start screen as a substitute for a well organized start menu that allowed nesting has pros and cons.  On the pro side, it's pretty easy to set up the Modern UI to act as a substitute for the start menu.  Most end users never got the hang of customizing the start menu.  I think they will be ok with organizing the tiles.  On the down side, for those of use that knew how to organize the start menu and have gobs and gobs of different programs they use regullarlly, the actual speed of getting to something and launching it will increase with the new interface.

Other little gotcha's are the inconsistency of having what amount to 2 operating environments on top of the same back-bone.  IE in the modern ui does not share favorites with the IE off the desktop for instance.  Devices on the Modern UI does not list the devices you'll see in control panel.

Most of our support calls we get have to do with printers.  The user pathway to printers is not as obvious as it was before.  In a mouse based environment the little 60 pixel hover area is much smaller and tricky to navigate to than clicking the start button was.

We are good here, though as we have the keyboard shortcuts down for getting to places that users were, in past WinOS's able to easily navigate to with the mouse.

But, clearly, the removal of the start button to force people to learn and get used to the Modern UI was a political and/or marketing decision rather than an ease of use/migration decision.  I suppose the logic was once the users get used to the Modern UI as their place to launch programs, they'll be more comfortable buying the tablets in the store.  Obviously, the sane solution would be retain the start button and add an easy icon to mouse to pull up the Modern UI in the start button.  Then a user can keep their continuity and operate in whatever fashion the users prefers.

Of course, this will, in fact, be what occurs as users will very quickly realize any number or 3rd party products return the traditional start button functionality.  The end result of making the user go through hoops to do this will be slow adoption, massive numbers of returned PC's, and a general 'Vista'/'ME' like reputation clouding what is an otherwise brilliant operating system.

For me, I like the content oriented tiles which, for many content providers, give a better, thicker experience than their purely web based counterparts.  Having the traditional desktop and tile based apps really open up the possibilities for users to have the best of both worlds in one operating system.  The fact the underlying kernal has been optimized for battery life and performance in a tablet environment has really provided a real improvement in all metrics I've tested between 7 and 8.  I also like all the other improvements like the improved multiple monitor task bar options, the file-copying status and large/multi file copying that works!, the improved task manager and lots of other probable improvements I have not yet run into.

Personally, I plan to upgrade my main development computer to 8 once I do a clone/update test to make sure all my programs work.  So far in mini-testing, I've not found anything that worked in 7 that does not work in 8, but a complete test is in order before I make the plunge.

I do dread my first customers that call for support and I'll probably encourage them to install 'classic shell' as a way to ease their migration woes.  Then they can play with the modern UI when they wish and not trip over it when they don't.  It's going to be an interesting couple of months!

Monday, October 29, 2012 7:46 PM
  • add an easy icon to mouse to pull up the Modern UI in the start button

For me that was pinning the Run... dialog in position 1 of the Taskbar and creating a macro for one of my mouse buttons to do Ctrl-Esc (e.g. when I really wanted to get to the Start Screen with "a click".)   Now if I could just find a program which could drive keyboard macros (which include the LWin- key), I could create some more to replace problematic "swiping" by attaching them to my Tablet PC buttons and my keyboard's Favorites buttons .   Then the new UI could feel more usable in all of its modes.

BTW notice that there are now new keyboards which do have all the W8 "swipes" defined as keys?  Be nice if older MS keyboards could be allowed to use those functions too.  ;  }

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/windows-8-compatible-hardware

---

Monday, October 29, 2012 10:13 PM
  • Here is a little bit of help for Windows 8 (I LOVE WINDOWS 8)I installed Windows 8 upgrade Oct 26th and haven't looked back! I installed it on my Desktop Pc which had Windows 7. I got the Book"Windows 8 Plain & Simple" which is a Mostly Visual Guide to Windows 8. It was rather strange for about 2 hours learning the interface. The main thing to convey is there are programs on the start screen that will open your Desktop automatically like your Browser programs, the exception being Internet Explorer 10 which is configured to open a special version that will open outside the Desktop! There is a problem with opening Internet Explorer outside the desktop, I have Norton 360 and there appears to be no protection by Norton 360 outside the Desktop environment. I took the browser to

Googleto see if the links were verified by Norton, but there were NO Indicators of Link safety status, so I conclude that there is no protection provided by Norton outside the desktop. The good news is that if you bring up Internet options and go to the Programs Tab there is a check box to open Internet Explorer in the Desktop. Next closing programs opened by the start screen. The Desktop is opened by the Start Screen to close it move your mouse pointer to the top of the screen until it turns into a hand then click your Left mouse button and hold it down, now drag the Desktop to bottom of the screen til the window goes below the bottom of the screen and release the button. All programs that open outside the desktop close the same way as the desktop. You don't have to worry about closing the desktop it will close when you shut the computer down. Programs opened outside the desktop Environment will eventually close automatically. I will now represent the Windows key by using a capital W to show some shortcut key combinations. W+r will open a RUN Dialog prompt so just type the name of the program you want to RUN.    Type W+d to quickly return to the desktop. Type W+c to display charms. Type W+i  to display settings sub panel of charms. Type W to return to the Start Screen Remember W represents pressing the Windows Key, you must press the Windows key when you see W. Type w+Q to bring up the Apps Screen. You can create a desktop menu using toolbar options. I hope this helps. I taught My wife how to use windows 8 in few minutes after I figured it out ( She Loves it!). By the way I don't have a touch screen I only have a mouse. Every application I have RUNS. If you go to charms and type control panel in it will be displayed right click the Icon and you can pin it to the desktop task bar. You can bring up charms by moving your mouse to the upper right corner of the desktop. Happy Computing!PS also check out the corners of your desktop with your mouse.

Monday, November 5, 2012 12:21 AM
  • I find it laughable that many people cannot come out and say they like Windows 8 without qualifying it first. The fact is NO ONE likes Windows 8. No one who doesn't work for Microsoft (or who doesn't stand to profit from Microsoft products) likes Metro. 

Look Microsoft, you have a huge base that loved Windows XP and loves the newer Windows 7 interface. Now you are obsessed with mobile, but you missed that plane a long time ago. So now you are making the desktop look like your mobile cell phone type OS that no one likes. What do you think is going to happen? You cannot leverage your desktop infrastructure to make people buy Windows 8 mobile phones. It isn't going to work, but let me tell you what WILL happen.  It WILL sell one hell of a lot more MAC's and I-Phones for Apple. You have unwittingly sabotaged your own company and it's future and in the process you have become the number one proponent driving people towards Apple.

This strategy is like crashing a fleet of planes into every building on the MS campus in Redmond. It is really time for Steve Balmer to step down. Vista was a disaster, but that was mild in comparison to this meltdown. Your only saving grace is the huge enterprise infrastructure from Windows domains, Exchange, and apps that use SQL. This move is likely to make many corporate IT departments rethink whether Microsoft is the right solution for them in anything.

• Edited by Wolverine58 Friday, December 21, 2012 4:27 AM
    Friday, December 21, 2012 4:21 AM
  • If all I wanted to do was look at photos and videos and post to social media like my teenager does then Windows 8 would be fine but my work software and many other things I really need to do my work won't operate or operate incorrectly and it's arrogant and lazy for Microsoft to turn it back on the users who pay them to stay in business and say it's our fault for not understanding that this is a beta release since almost all new computers come with Windows 8 and you have no choice. That's what happened to me, my old laptop is dying and I needed a new one to work on, but I can't do that with this poorly designed OS. I will now have to pay more money to get Windows 7. Don't foist it on us and then say "Oh well, it's Beta, it's the whole rest of the world's fault for not keeping up". There is such a thing as backwards compatibility. I really don't want to give Microsoft any more of my money since they have demonstrated what little respect they have for the consumer.

Friday, December 21, 2012 3:08 PM
  • Well, I like it more than ever, so much so that I don't run Windows 7 on any of my PC's anymore...

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine

Friday, December 21, 2012 3:44 PM
  • Windows 8 does run every application I have tried, and its development is no easy task. Do you know of any applications that run on Windows 7 that will not run on Windows 8? I am not aware of any.

I my experience there are no lazy people at Microsoft. Quite the opposite; they work much much much harder than you can imagine. My issue is the direction that Microsoft's leadership has chosen, but that is NOT the fault of the employees. It has led to much frustration on the part of loyal users.

The biggest boom in Apple's sales occurred after Windows Vista was released. I know many people who returned their new Vista PC in favor of a MAC, and after that they never came back and will never come back to Windows period. The bottom line is Apple makes it easy for the average consumer to do the things they want to do. Metro is trying to do that, but it is presenting an alien interface to average working people who don't care to, or don't want to have to learn something new. Windows 8 Metro is a headache.

• Edited by Wolverine58 Friday, December 21, 2012 4:24 PM
    Friday, December 21, 2012 4:18 PM
  • My financial software doesn't work, the web portal I use for my job doesn't work, I can't even stream my music and read my Kindle library at the same time, I am constantly being tossed off one site and onto another because I looked sideways at the trackpad, Netflix and Skype are spotty at best, I hate the look of the Windows 8 apps, half of which don't work and just lock me into a log in loop that I can't get out of. Everything takes extra unnecessary steps to accomplish. For the company to turn it back on the consumers and say that we don't understand that this is Beta is ignorant and disrespectful, when you can't get a new computer without it. I'm not a kid who uses my computer to play, I need it to work. I expected Microsoft to turn out a product that works. My mistake. And now they want to shake me down to buy the OS that does work.

Friday, December 21, 2012 10:06 PM
  • And I work with computers every day, I have to learn new software frequently and was part of my company's implementation team for our new mobile product. Not working is not working. It has nothing to do with the hour I spent learning where things were, which wasn't that difficult, but I can figure out when things I need don't work, and they don't work on 8. It's awful.
    Friday, December 21, 2012 10:09 PM
  • "Happy Computing!"

Ten days later and still this piece of rubbish doesn't work. It is not a matter of not knowing where things are. It is a matter of things NOT WORKING. Maybe you can keep Microsoft in business, but I know they won't get any more money out of me.

Sunday, December 30, 2012 3:07 AM
  • "Happy Computing!"

Ten days later and still this piece of rubbish doesn't work. It is not a matter of not knowing where things are. It is a matter of things NOT WORKING. Maybe you can keep Microsoft in business, but I know they won't get any more money out of me.

Can't agree more. I wish I had read this blog before investing in this Asus Prime with windows 8 what a pain, bought it yesterday, now 4 in the morning and still trying to master the system, pity you can't step back to 7 in the settings and all would be well, the whole OS is really designed for tablet users not PC users and as such is going to end up as the modern day Betamax.  OS design should make life easier, not more difficult, welcome to 2013
    Tuesday, January 1, 2013 4:37 AM
  • "Happy Computing!"

Windows 8 is driving me round the bend, none of my photography software works correctly, the flags are annoying, great for the facebook freaks and twatterers but not business users, I hate 8 give me back 7 heaven
    Thursday, January 3, 2013 11:47 PM
  • I have the answer, download classic shell a free programme and all is as we know it, similar to 7,  start button,close button etc, happy days. 8 is still available from the side bar, best of both worlds
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 11:00 PM