none
DPM 2012 R2 backing up Hyper-V with a SMB hard drive? RRS feed

• Question

• We have DPM 2012 R2 Windows Server 2012 R2 backing up a Hyper-V host server running Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter and that works fine.  We have installed a new SMB share server with Windows Storage Server 2012.  

If I move a Hyper-V guest's hard drive location from the local drives on the Hyper-V host to the SMB share via UNC path.  The server works fine but the DPM backups will fail stating Replica inconsistent in DPM and a VSS Error Event ID # 12293 shows up on the Hyper-V host server.  Then if I move the hard drive location on Hyper-V Guest back to Hyper-V host DPM will backup the Hyper-V Guest with DPM just fine.  

I ran across this article http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh757866.aspx and I have setup full computer rights on the share for both the DPM server and Hyper-V Hosts.  I have DPM agent installed on the Hyper-V host server and SMB share server.  The VSS Agent service is loaded on the SMB Share server.  I have tried disabling TCP Chimney Offload but that didn't change anything.

I then tried backing up the Hyper-V Guest from the command line of the Hyper-V Host using this cmd:  

wbadmin.exe start backup -backuptarget:\\Server\share -hyperv:"GuestName"

The command above fails and I get a SPP Event ID 16387 error and Backup Event ID 521 error in the Event Log on Hyper-V host server.  If I move the hard drive on the Hyper-V Guest back to the Hyper-V Host Server and run the above cmd the Hyper-V Guest backs up just fine.  I know I must be missing something any ideas or advice?

Thanks in advance:)

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 10:03 PM

All replies

• Maybe it's help you...

Backup Hyper-V Over SMB

Have a nice day !!!

Thursday, March 13, 2014 5:36 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, I read the article you linked and it seemed similar to the one I was using.  I don't seem to get any errors selecting the hyper-v guest pc's only when I the backup is attempted.  I tried to backup a second Hyper-V Guest (SMB Hard Drive) today and I get the same errors posted above.  I don't have a cluster setup yet it is just a basic SMB share.

Thursday, March 13, 2014 2:17 PM
  • I have the same problem, version DPM 2012 R2 UR1 (4.2.1217.0), Hyper-V hosts on Windows 2012 R2.

How can I solve this problem?

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 5:56 PM
  • maybe

(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2929881/            )    

0x80070005 error when you run DPM jobs in Windows Server 2012 or Windows Server 2012 R2

Have a nice day !!!

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 3:00 PM