Word 2016 error message RRS feed

• Question

• Every time I quit Word, a pop up box appears with the message:

Changes have been made that affect the global template, . Do you want to save those changes?

If I click save, this message appears:

Word cannot save this document due to a naming or permissions error on the destination volume.

(Normal.dotm)

I have no idea what any of this is about. Help!

Monday, January 30, 2017 11:10 AM

All replies

• Exit Word if it is currently running. Click the Windows logo on the taskbar and type winword. In the list of search results, right-click the entry for Word and choose Run as Administrator (enter an adminstrator password if required). Are you now allowed to save changes to the Normal template? And does Word run without the message the next time you start it (without running as Administrator)?

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 1:33 AM
  • Could you please also verify under safe mode?

Press Win + R and type "winword.exe /safe" in the blank box, then press Enter.

There is also a possibility that an add-in or a macro that is changing the global template installed on the computer.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 7:35 AM
  • Hi,

I'm just writing to check how's everything going? Are you unblocked on this?

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 6, 2017 4:26 AM
  • Every time I quit Word, a pop up box appears with the message:

Changes have been made that affect the global template, . Do you want to save those changes?

If I click save, this message appears:

Word cannot save this document due to a naming or permissions error on the destination volume.

(Normal.dotm)

I have no idea what any of this is about. Help!

There are two things going on here. They may be related:

1. Something is trying to make changes to the normal template. While this is not necessarily bad, it should not be happening every time you use Word.
    2. Your normal template is locked or set to read-only or the folder in which it should be stored is one to which you do not have write access.

Addressing the second issue first, try to find the folder containing your normal template or which should contain your normal template. Do this with Word closed. How to Find the Normal Template

1. Is there a file named "Normal.dotm" there? If so, is it set as "Read-only" in its properties?
    2. Can you save any file in that folder?

If it is marked as Read-Only, uncheck the box for that. If you cannot save any file in that folder, talk to the person who set up your computer so that you have "write access" to that folder.

If you did either or both of these fixes, restart Word and close it. Same problem?

If there was a Normal.dotm file there, it is not Read-Only, and you can save files there, is that folder and file shared with any other user? If not, then you can at least address the first problem (the message). See Add-Ins in Microsoft Word

By the way, you may get advice on how to shut off this warning. Do not follow such advice; it is a valuable warning even if it is annoying right now.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 8:51 PM
  • This began happening to me immediately after and update of office 365 within the last few weeks.  I believer, but cannot prove, that MS has a bug in there.  I am on Word for Mac, version 15.30.  My attitude is that MS should fix its bug rather than me going though the hoops described.  
    Wednesday, February 22, 2017 8:26 PM
  • This began happening to me immediately after and update of office 365 within the last few weeks.  I believer, but cannot prove, that MS has a bug in there.  I am on Word for Mac, version 15.30.  My attitude is that MS should fix its bug rather than me going though the hoops described.  

I have not used Word for the Mac for many years. Everything posted here other than your post is about Word for Windows. Nevertheless, I have no reason to believe the cause to be different on the Mac.

If you really want help, rather than to sound off, please be explicit on what "this" you mean when you say "This began happening to me."

The first message is almost always due to a problem with an Add-In. Add-Ins in Microsoft Word

Such an Add-In might function fine with one version of Word and not well with another one or with an update. This is annoying, but is not a bug in Word. It is poorly-written code in the Add-In.

Thursday, February 23, 2017 2:21 AM
  • This is how I solved it:

Under 'Word'>'Preferences'>uncheck box saying 'Prompt before saving Normal template'

Thursday, March 2, 2017 3:16 PM

Under 'Word'>'Preferences'>uncheck box saying 'Prompt before saving Normal template'

I disagree. You are addressing the symptom, the alert, rather than the problem. That is like taking the battery out of the smoke alarm because it keeps buzzing. That alert goes off because changes have been made to the Normal template, a central component of the Word program. You, the user, want to have control over that.

As with the smoke alarm, a better solution is to find out why it is going off and address that.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 7:25 PM

After you have made sure that there is no malicious code running, do what I suggested in a previous post: Start Word as Administrator and click yes when you see the prompt to save the Normal template.

If you just clear the check mark next to "Prompt before saving the Normal template," Word will keep trying to save Normal without asking you, and you have accomplished nothing. Worst case scenario, if malicious code is running, you may even lose data in the long run.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Thursday, March 2, 2017 8:17 PM