Installing a new Windows 2016 domain controller into my domain RRS feed

• Question

• I have 3 Windows 2008r2 domain controllers and 1 Windows 2008 domain controller in our domain.  I am installing a new Windows 2016 Server domain controller.  It will replace the Windows 2008 DC.

I would like to open this thread to ask questions to help me with this work.

My first question is:  I know I need to update the Active Directory Replication from FSR to DFS.  Do I need to do this "before" promoting the 2016 Server to a DC, or can I do it after promoting the server?  In other words is this a requirement that must be done before I can promote the 2016 Server to a DC?

Thursday, September 28, 2017 3:03 PM

Answers

All replies

• In other words is this a requirement that must be done before I can promote the 2016 Server to a DC?

I'd probably do it before.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/identity/ad-ds/active-directory-functional-levels

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/filecab/2014/06/25/streamlined-migration-of-frs-to-dfsr-sysvol/

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Wendy Jiang Monday, October 2, 2017 8:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Poly Admin Monday, October 2, 2017 2:29 PM
    Thursday, September 28, 2017 3:27 PM
  • Thank you.  Give me a little time to look over the articles.

Also I would like to leave this post open so I can ask other questions related to installing this 2016 Domain Controller.

Thursday, September 28, 2017 4:03 PM
  • Sounds good, you're welcome. Its recommended to limit threads to one question to lower confusion. New questions should be asked in a new separate thread for clarity.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, September 28, 2017 4:06 PM
  • Ok, I will mark this one answered and create new posts for new questions regarding this. thanks
    Monday, October 2, 2017 2:28 PM