Vista install - Setup cannot get information about the disks in your computer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Trying to install vista beta2 get an error as setup initalises (either boot from cd or within the windows setup) telling me "Setup cannot get information about the disks in your computer" and then quits or reboots. No idea what this is, i have 2 different ide controllers, one is the nforce2 integrated controller and the other is a cmd pci ide controller, i cannot get it to install to drives on either. Doesnt matter what drive, even a brand new drive wouldnt work.

Any ideas anyone? I had the same problem with the previous beta and gave up hoping it would be fixed in this one

Oh and one other curious thing is that at one point it decided to run a scandisk on one of the drives after i had to manually reboot from the dvd boot setup(after booting from the dvd again) so it clearly can see the drives:) becasue it noticed there was an error on one of them

Thanks

Andy

Leadtek WinFast K7nCR18D PRO nforce 2 mobo(latest bios installed), Athlon XP 3200, 1gb ram, 1x160gig,1x80gig,1x120gig,1x200gig, radeon 9800pro, tv card, pci ide controller(made by cmd), intel modem

Thursday, June 15, 2006 9:55 AM

All replies

• You need the device drivers for your controller card, you can use flash drive or cd,dvd. once it dont read it will give you the option do install drivers
    Friday, June 16, 2006 1:04 AM
  • nope doesnt get far enough, as soon as you click ok on the dialogue box setup ends. the nforce 2 controller does not need drivers for windows vista afaik  and the cmd controller uses built in drivers in windows xp so presumably the same will be true in vista plus setup can clearly read and write to the disks as it could scan disk them.
    Friday, June 16, 2006 8:38 AM
  • I'm jsut installing Vista on a Asus A7n8x motherboard, uses the nForce2 chipset also, and the installation routine does NOT recognize the SATA controller.

I had to download and unzip the driver. I saved the files on root level on an USB stick and at the disk selection during installation I clicked the "Install drivers" button and it worked like a charm. Found my drives with no problem what so ever afterwards.

Don't know if the drivers have to be installed at root level, did it like that just in case...

Friday, June 16, 2006 7:43 PM
  • mine doesnt have sata, everythings over pata. Doesnt get far enough to select disks, setup quits before that, error message comes up before setup even finnishes starting up.
    Friday, June 16, 2006 8:04 PM
  • any ideas anyone?
    Sunday, June 18, 2006 11:22 AM
  • no ideas, but exactly the same problem...

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 12:22 PM
  • Hi...

I could install Vista, but couldn't get it to work with my pci ide controller...

I recomend you disonnect your PCI controller, then, when choosing your hard drive for installation, start with deleting it, then format and only then choose it for install...

I hope it will help... And I hope I'll find a solution for my PCI IDE controller. If I do, I'll let you all know...

C U

Zapata

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 7:56 PM
  • I had the same issue and it turned out to be the install DVD.  I used a different DVD and it picked up my HDD's with no issues and installed right away.  Give it a go if you can.

Cheers,

Derek
    Monday, September 10, 2007 9:21 PM
  • Hi,

Try to unplug all un used hard disks you have and just use one you'll install your Windows Vista at.

Good luck

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 12:02 AM