Serious Issue With "Calculating Time Remaining" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I've read on the Net that some people have problems with "Calculating Time Remaining", such that when copying from one drive to another (or from a network drive to a local one), the process is extremely slow.

My problem's a little worse, in that my computer actually stops working altogether. When moving a small (ie, 50kb) file from one folder to another on the same local drive, I often (not always) get the "Calculating Time Remaining" window. And it remains like that for an eternity, never actually moving/deleting the file.

Please God tell me there is a fix to this because I might as well be running Windows 3.1 here. I know Microsoft released a Hotfix but it's not for the exact same problem, unless someone can tell me it works for this problem as well.

I already tried turning off UAC and I've disabled Windows Search, no effect.

Thanks,

Wassim

Saturday, November 1, 2008 10:58 PM

Answers

• I have this same problem.

I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium and am unable to copy files.

This issue occurs in one of two ways:  Either my computer has been left on for an extended period of time (a few days usually) or I use Windows File Sharing with the other computers on my network (which are all running Windows XP).

If I start copying several files around, eventually Vista will choke and sit there with "Calculating time remaining".

The steps that you list above will not help fix the issue.  If I reboot the computer, it starts working fine until one of the two issues above occurs.  Rebooting the computer fixes the issue.  I shouldn't have to reboot in order to copy files.

I've installed the hotfix that should have corrected the problem, but I'm still experiencing it.

This is so frustrating.  It's just a file copy or a file move!  Why was Vista released with such a fundamental flaw!?

My Vista computer is an HP Laptop DV9000 series.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01062257&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3439691

What can I do to permanently fix this issue, other than go to XP?  This is so stupid!

Thursday, November 6, 2008 3:43 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Wassim, let's first check if the issue is caused by third party software conflicts:

Step 1: Enter Safe Mode

1. Restart the computer.

2. Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

3. Choose Safe Mode by using the up and down arrows on your keyboard, and press Enter.

4. Start the computer in Safe Mode.

5. Let's check if the issue occurs in Safe Mode.

(Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary. To return the system back to Normal Mode, we can simply restart the computer. )

If that does not occur in Safe Mode, let's follow step 2 to perform a Clean Boot.

Step 2: Clean Boot

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment. If the issue disappears, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 5:01 AM
  • I have this same problem.

I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium and am unable to copy files.

This issue occurs in one of two ways:  Either my computer has been left on for an extended period of time (a few days usually) or I use Windows File Sharing with the other computers on my network (which are all running Windows XP).

If I start copying several files around, eventually Vista will choke and sit there with "Calculating time remaining".

The steps that you list above will not help fix the issue.  If I reboot the computer, it starts working fine until one of the two issues above occurs.  Rebooting the computer fixes the issue.  I shouldn't have to reboot in order to copy files.

I've installed the hotfix that should have corrected the problem, but I'm still experiencing it.

This is so frustrating.  It's just a file copy or a file move!  Why was Vista released with such a fundamental flaw!?

My Vista computer is an HP Laptop DV9000 series.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01062257&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3439691

What can I do to permanently fix this issue, other than go to XP?  This is so stupid!

Thursday, November 6, 2008 3:43 AM