none
Duration calculation incorrect RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,  I have created a manually scheduled task in Microsoft Project 2010.  I have changed working times from 08:00-16:30 Mon-Fri, and changed default start times and end times to match this, as well as change the hours per week to 42.5 (8.5hrs x 5days).  I have scheduled the task to start on the 1st July 2011 and end on the 31st of July 2011 which means that the duration should be 21days, however the duration is being calculated as 21.53days.  Also, If i manually change this duration from 21.53 to 21 it doesn't affect the end (or start) date.  Please help. Thanks. 
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 9:06 AM

Answers

• Hi,

If the task has 8.5 hrs of work per day and 20 working days in a month then the task begining on 1st July will end on 29th July with 21 days duration. When you have changed your working time from 8 to 16:30 does it include 1 hours of break ? Have you also changed the settings in the defualt options wherein you define number of hours/day; number of days per week and number of days each month etc. File -> Options -> Schedule.

Seems there is some setting issues only,please let us know if the above steps work for you. Have you also assigned Resources on the task, if yes also check in USage views to acertain the variation in Finish Date and 21.53d.

Sapna S
    • Marked as answer by Jo Gruter Wednesday, May 11, 2011 9:46 AM
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 9:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If the task has 8.5 hrs of work per day and 20 working days in a month then the task begining on 1st July will end on 29th July with 21 days duration. When you have changed your working time from 8 to 16:30 does it include 1 hours of break ? Have you also changed the settings in the defualt options wherein you define number of hours/day; number of days per week and number of days each month etc. File -> Options -> Schedule.

Seems there is some setting issues only,please let us know if the above steps work for you. Have you also assigned Resources on the task, if yes also check in USage views to acertain the variation in Finish Date and 21.53d.

Sapna S
    • Marked as answer by Jo Gruter Wednesday, May 11, 2011 9:46 AM
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 9:28 AM
  • Thanks so much! Under file-> options-> schedule I somehow got the AMs and PMs muddled up. Silly mistake.
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 9:48 AM
  • No Problems, it does happen with all of us, you are most welcome to the Forum :)
    Sapna S
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 9:54 AM