Outlook 2016 won't save attachments to network location RRS feed

• Question

• We have approx 20 installations of Office Pro 2016 click-to-run and 40 Office Pro 2013 click-to-run.  None of our Outlook 2016 users are able to save e-mail attachments to network locations.  There is no error message, it appears to work normally.  However the attachment simply is not saved.

Everything works fine when saving to C:\
    Drag-and-drop the attachment from the e-mail to the network location works fine
    Outlook 2013 works fine

Windows is version 1703.  Office 2016 is 1710.

This started happening a few months ago and we expected it would be fixed by an update, but unfortunately this is not the case.

Any hints to help me get this working again are most appreciated, thanks.
    Monday, December 4, 2017 1:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

How do you save the attachmentsBy selecting “Save all attachments” or choosing “Save as”?

Have you made any changes to Office or Windows system before the issue occurred?

I tried to test this in my environment(Win 1703 Build 15063.726 and Outlook 2016 MSO 16.0.8201.2209) but didn’t reproduce this issue. Please collect the detailed build number of both Windows and Outlook 2016 so that we can do further research on this.

Besides, if possible, I’d like to suggest to try reverting to a previous version of Office and see if the issue persists. Please refer to this link about how to revert to an earlier verison: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2770432/how-to-revert-to-an-earlier-version-of-office-2013-or-office-2016-clic

Any findings, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry Pan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by _y3Ti Friday, December 8, 2017 1:27 PM
    Tuesday, December 5, 2017 9:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

How do you save the attachmentsBy selecting “Save all attachments” or choosing “Save as”?

Have you made any changes to Office or Windows system before the issue occurred?

I tried to test this in my environment(Win 1703 Build 15063.726 and Outlook 2016 MSO 16.0.8201.2209) but didn’t reproduce this issue. Please collect the detailed build number of both Windows and Outlook 2016 so that we can do further research on this.

Besides, if possible, I’d like to suggest to try reverting to a previous version of Office and see if the issue persists. Please refer to this link about how to revert to an earlier verison: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2770432/how-to-revert-to-an-earlier-version-of-office-2013-or-office-2016-clic

Any findings, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry Pan

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by _y3Ti Friday, December 8, 2017 1:27 PM
    Tuesday, December 5, 2017 9:41 AM
  • Hi Perry,

Thanks for your reply!

It doesn't matter whether I use "Save all attachments" or "Save as".  The result is the same.

My Windows is 1703 Build 15063.726.  Outlook is 1710 8625.2139.

I reverted Outlook to 1703 7967.2161 using the instructions in the link you provided.  This version worked 100% OK.  I chose 2 attachments from my Inbox, and I successfully saved both to my Z: (which is mapped to users directory on DC).

I then updated back to 8625.2139 using the "update options" button in Outlook, and tried saving the same 2 attachments, and guess what?!?  They both did save successfully!

There are 20 affected machines though.  But at least it can be solved now.

BR

Peter

Thursday, December 7, 2017 8:34 AM
  • Hi Peter,

So glad to see that the issue can be solved now. Thank you for your update.

Besides, could you please help mark it as answer so that others who might have a similar question can more easily find the helpful information?

Best Regards,

Perry

Friday, December 8, 2017 1:33 AM
  • I note that 1711 8730.2122 solves the problem without downgrade/upgrade as documented above
    • Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, December 11, 2017 12:43 AM
    Friday, December 8, 2017 1:28 PM
  • Hi Perry,

Thanks for your reply!

It doesn't matter whether I use "Save all attachments" or "Save as".  The result is the same.

My Windows is 1703 Build 15063.726.  Outlook is 1710 8625.2139.

I reverted Outlook to 1703 7967.2161 using the instructions in the link you provided.  This version worked 100% OK.  I chose 2 attachments from my Inbox, and I successfully saved both to my Z: (which is mapped to users directory on DC).

I then updated back to 8625.2139 using the "update options" button in Outlook, and tried saving the same 2 attachments, and guess what?!?  They both did save successfully!

There are 20 affected machines though.  But at least it can be solved now.

BR

Peter

I am encountering the same issue in my environment as well. Reverting to an older version of Outlook resolves the issue (8625.2139), however updating back to Version 1711 Build 8730.2127 and the issue is back. This issue is present throughout our whole environment. We are using the Click 2 Run version of Outlook 2016.
    Tuesday, January 2, 2018 11:04 AM
  • How has Microsoft not addressed this issue yet in going on 4 months? Really? Why is this so hard to fix?
    Thursday, February 22, 2018 9:38 PM
  • And here we are, well into  March, and the problem still exists. However, I can 'save', I just can't 'save all' attachments. I can get as far as choosing where to save them to, and then when I click save it takes me back to the fist pane that lists all the attachments.

Please fix, I'm in an environment where I can't revert to previous versions.

Thursday, March 15, 2018 6:42 PM
  • I have the same problem, and has not been fixed for months. Come on Microsft, lets get this issue resolved!
    Thursday, March 22, 2018 2:02 AM
  • Agreed we have the same issue - Where is Microsoft in fixing this issue since Nov 2017; April 2018 still not resolved...

or is this just another marketing ploy by Microsoft to force us to pay for their "One drive" and eat up all our Internet bandwidth.

Wednesday, April 18, 2018 9:59 AM
  • Having the same issue. Please advise!
    Monday, April 30, 2018 4:56 PM
  • same problem here, Any solutions yet?

Friday, June 29, 2018 5:15 PM
  • Well it's the 10th of July 2018 now. 

We have the same problem in our office, we can do a Save All Attachments to the local drives but not the Server.  Attachments can be saved individually one by one but it's generally easier to save them to the local drive and then copy manually.  Why isn't this fixed Microsoft??

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 1:23 AM
  • Well, you can use the free Save Attachments add-in and use the right-click menu on a message to save all attachments to any place, including network share. Moreover, you can save your target location for reuse.

Alexey Kuznetsov,
    Relief Software
    More than 140 free add-ins for Outlook

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 1:38 PM