How to add several cited docs into one word doc RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have to write a progress review. I have to add several word docs in to one word doc. Each doc has been cited and referenced with word. I want to add each doc to a separate section without changing the format of the references. And I also want each list of references to be under each doc, not merge at the end. Is there a way to do this.

Thank you 

x

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 4:37 AM

Answers

• Presumably, by 'cited and referenced', you're referring to the use of bookmarks and cross-references and/or footnotes/endnotes.

When combining documents, it's important to note that you can only have a single instance of a given bookmark name; if your source documents use the same bookmark name, all instances after the first will be deleted and any cross-references will then relate to the first instance. So, if you want your bookmarks and cross-references to work, don't use the same names for the bookmarks in each source document.

With footnotes & endnotes, if you use Section breaks to delineate each of the imported documents, you can use Word's footnote/endnote tools to re-start the numbering in each Section and, with endnotes, there is a setting to place them at the end of each Section.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 4:23 AM

All replies

• Hi Cocoshades,

Thanks for visiting our forum.

>> I want to add each doc to a separate section without changing the format of the references. And I also want each list of references to be under each doc, not merge at the end. 

Sorry but I am not quite clear about what you mean by this. If possible, could you please remove the private information and share a sample file about your question so that our community members can help you better? You can upload the files via OneDrive and paste a link here.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 3:14 AM
  • Ok let me explain clearly.

I am making a progress report with several sections. (a, b, c, etc.....)

Prior to this I was involved in 2 projects. For each project I wrote a report which I cited using Word references.  So for example - Report 1 comes with the report details and citations at the end of the doc. Report 2 is the same. 

Now, for my progress report, I need to add these 2 reports (Report 1 and 2) to the sections in the report.

Eg. Section a - Report 1, Section b - Report 2, Section c - blah blah

When I try to add these individual reports to the sections, the reference citations change (ref numbers change) and all merge at the very end of the progress report. 

What I want is for the individual reports and references to stay in each section, not merge at the end. 

Eg.

***What I'm getting:

Section a -> Report 1

Section b -> Report 2

Section c (very end) -> Combined references

***What I want:

Section a -> Report 1

-> References

Section b -> Report 2

-> Referemces

Section c -> End

In other words, I don't want the references to change citation numbers and merge at the end. I want them to stay within each section. 

I hope this makes it clearer. 

Thank you so much for taking the time to read all this.

Coco x

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 4:09 AM
  • Presumably, by 'cited and referenced', you're referring to the use of bookmarks and cross-references and/or footnotes/endnotes.

When combining documents, it's important to note that you can only have a single instance of a given bookmark name; if your source documents use the same bookmark name, all instances after the first will be deleted and any cross-references will then relate to the first instance. So, if you want your bookmarks and cross-references to work, don't use the same names for the bookmarks in each source document.

With footnotes & endnotes, if you use Section breaks to delineate each of the imported documents, you can use Word's footnote/endnote tools to re-start the numbering in each Section and, with endnotes, there is a setting to place them at the end of each Section.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 4:23 AM
  • Ok thanks. I kind of understand what you are saying. I think I need to read it a few more times to fully work out what you mean.

Thank you so much. Really grateful for the help.

Coco

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 9:53 AM
  • Hi Coco,

Glad to see that the reply provided by macropod can be helpful.

By the way, could you please help mark his post above as answer so that others who might have a similar issue can more easily find the useful information?

Thanks so much for your understanding and support.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 10:10 AM