none
Single slicer on multiple power queries? RRS feed

• Question

• I am totally new to power query.

I created three connection only queries to my SSAS cube, then from each of these I created a pivot. Each of these three pivots will be referenced with GETPIVOTDATA formulas to build a "dashboard" on a different work sheet.

Is there a way to have a single slicer (e.g. Year) operate on all three of my Power Queries? When I insert a slicer on one of the pivot's and look at the slicers connection options, I can only connect it to one currently.

Can anyone offer some advice?

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 6:11 PM

Answers

• Well, seems I haven't been clear enough here. Actually, your second sentence exactly desribes my proposal. At least your initial problem should be solvend then?

Cannot say why the first way has such a bigger filesize but as this isn't the preferred alternative here anyway...

Imke

• Marked as answer by determinism Thursday, April 9, 2015 1:42 PM
    Wednesday, April 8, 2015 4:33 AM

All replies

• Yes, if you load your query results to PowerPivot instead of directly to Excel, you can create a Power Pivot Data Model (linking the tables appropriately).

Then source your Pivot tables to that PP data model instead of the single Excelsheets (PQ results).

Then you can use joint slicers on that data model.

Imke

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 6:29 PM
  • This was the answer I was hoping not to get because in the past when I loaded data through the Power Pivot UI and created my model, the workbook would become very large 100MB+

However, when I import the data with Power Query, then load my Power Query data into my Power Pivot model creating relationships with the dimensions I want (allowing me my slicers), the workbook size remains quite small.

Do you know why?

• Edited by determinism Tuesday, April 7, 2015 10:14 PM
    Tuesday, April 7, 2015 10:12 PM
  • Well, seems I haven't been clear enough here. Actually, your second sentence exactly desribes my proposal. At least your initial problem should be solvend then?

Cannot say why the first way has such a bigger filesize but as this isn't the preferred alternative here anyway...

Imke

• Marked as answer by determinism Thursday, April 9, 2015 1:42 PM
    Wednesday, April 8, 2015 4:33 AM
  • Solved but perplexed.
    Thursday, April 9, 2015 1:42 PM