none
gpedit.msc not seeing adml and admx files when placed in %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions

Question

• Hello, I'm trying to change some policies on my local machine. Environment is:

Domain: None
    indows 7 home premium 64-bit
    Policy Template folder: 
    C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions

I did not have gpedit on my machine so I installed it from here after following the steps -> http://drudger.deviantart.com/art/Add-GPEDIT-msc-215792914

Then, I downloaded the adm/admx files for the policies I needed to set and placed them into C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions. The adml went into ...\en-us and the admx file went into the folder itself.

Upon reloading gpedit.msc, the new policies didn't appear as expected. When I tried to Add the templates manually, the open file dialogue didn't show the admx/l files.

I also tried installing gpmc.msi but I was told it was not compatible with my version of windows. I also installed the Security Compliance Manager but had no clue what to do with it.

Help please. Thanks a lot.

• Edited by phil_adib Sunday, March 08, 2015 2:35 AM
    Sunday, March 08, 2015 2:30 AM

Answers

• Hi Phil_adib,

Just as Martin indicated above, Group Policy Editor or gpedit.msc is not included with Windows 7 or Vista Home Premium. It's only available in Windows 7/Vista Business, Ultimate and Enterprise editions. This is by design.

The gpedit.msc is basically a front-end for various registry settings and so you can open the Registry Editor and change the key/s listed in the table.

But Windows Home Premium users can refer the below link:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/unravel-tweaks-hacks-buried-inside-windows-7-group-policy-editor

It lists the same group policy settings for computer and user configurations included in the administrative template files delivered with Windows 7. These files are used to expose policy settings when you edit Group Policy Objects (GPOs) using Group Policy Object Editor (also known as GPEdit).

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Elaine

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 7:57 AM

All replies

•  
    Since this is not a supported method, I cannot help with your issue.

But you can get the registry values for each GP setting at
    http://gpsearch.azurewebsites.com and simply deploy the values you need.

Martin

Mal ein GUTES Buch über GPOs lesen?

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment :))
    Sunday, March 08, 2015 11:40 AM

• Since this is not a supported method, I cannot help with your issue.

I'd at least like to know where the Group Policies are handled in my version of Windows and how I would go about controlling them locally.

And not just editing the existing policies as listed in the azurewebsites link, but adding new ones and managing those as well.

• Edited by phil_adib Sunday, March 08, 2015 2:35 PM
    Sunday, March 08, 2015 2:34 PM
  • > I'd at least like to know where the Group Policies are handled in my
    > version of Windows and how I would go about controlling them locally.

Home SKUs do not support Group Policy, so again I cannot really help
    with this question.

Martin

Mal ein GUTES Buch über GPOs lesen?

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment :))
    Monday, March 09, 2015 10:40 AM
  • Hi Phil_adib,

Just as Martin indicated above, Group Policy Editor or gpedit.msc is not included with Windows 7 or Vista Home Premium. It's only available in Windows 7/Vista Business, Ultimate and Enterprise editions. This is by design.

The gpedit.msc is basically a front-end for various registry settings and so you can open the Registry Editor and change the key/s listed in the table.

But Windows Home Premium users can refer the below link:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/unravel-tweaks-hacks-buried-inside-windows-7-group-policy-editor

It lists the same group policy settings for computer and user configurations included in the administrative template files delivered with Windows 7. These files are used to expose policy settings when you edit Group Policy Objects (GPOs) using Group Policy Object Editor (also known as GPEdit).

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Elaine

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 7:57 AM