More info: Access 97 to Access 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• My property owners association has a member's database in Access 97 which they want updated to 2007 at a minimum.  It appears that I should install Access 2003 and run the convert tool, then import that database into 2007.  Will this update the extensive VBA references across the versions?  Has the object hierarchy been changed so extensively that this will end up being a rewrite?  In other words, should I forget about the Access 2003 install and import the tables and queries into 2007, then tackle loading the forms, reports, macros, and modules and converting the code directly to 2007?

Thanks for any advice.

Monday, January 24, 2011 12:48 PM

Answers

• Hertfordkc,

When I started my migration I chose two ways:

1. Migration to Access 2007 directly; using Access 2007 Tools

2. Migration to Access 2003 first then converted files opened in Access 2007 and use convert tool whenever necessery.

The only problem I found was  VBA errors only. Usually change Security Access 2007 - Macros and Trust Settings brought possitive resolved, however; some Manual Macro edit could be require.

Bart

Bart Kurowski IT Desktop Support Analyst, MCP, MCTS, MCITP, MCAS
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 10:53 AM

All replies

• Hertfordkc,

When I started my migration I chose two ways:

1. Migration to Access 2007 directly; using Access 2007 Tools

2. Migration to Access 2003 first then converted files opened in Access 2007 and use convert tool whenever necessery.

The only problem I found was  VBA errors only. Usually change Security Access 2007 - Macros and Trust Settings brought possitive resolved, however; some Manual Macro edit could be require.

Bart

Bart Kurowski IT Desktop Support Analyst, MCP, MCTS, MCITP, MCAS
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 10:53 AM
  • Hello Hertfordkc,

I agree with Bart's statements. You can either first convert to 2003 and then to 2007 or you can simply convert from 97 directly to 2007.

Convert an Access 97 database

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/convert-a-database-to-the-access-2007-file-format-HA010048406.aspx#BM2

Whichever method you chose, you will always want to review the migration considerations for known object model changes to Access and lastly test your database in the new version.

Migration considerations for Access 2007

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc178973.aspx

However, you should not need to completely rewrite your VBA for 2007.

Regards,

Dennis

Friday, January 28, 2011 8:38 PM
  • Thank you for your answers.

I elected to go directly to Access 2007 and the VBA transition has been tedious but relatively painless.

However ,  the security setup has presented a problem.  The application has it's own "switchboard" and extensive VBA event responses.  As part of the transition, I've created a secure key, added  "...\All Users\Trusted DB\.... as a trusted folder, and saved the DB to that folder.  When I open the database as a user with "admin" privileges, everything (as far as I've tested thus far) seems to be working.  If I sign on as a "Guest", the DB is opened as read-only and new records can not be added.  Removing the folder attribute "Read-only" apparently has no effect.  Along the way, I've also encountered situations where the macros were disabled but I believe those instances occurred when I hadn't declared the folder as trusted.

I need to get to a place where I can save the database with admin privileges, i.e. I have the right to save and remove programs, then let the clerk change and add records, but not change the format or operation of the forms and reports.  The third level of access is limited to the retrieval and reporting of information by association management.  I understand that I may have to implement the 2nd and 3rd levels of security, but since those levels would normally be associated with "non-admin" privileges, my experience with "Guest" access says I've missed something.

Also, would use of the "runtime" Access effectively disable user changes to the forms and reports, while allowing those changes accomplished as part of the VBA routines?

Thanks for any input.

Hertfordkc

Thursday, February 3, 2011 12:54 PM