none
Issue in Over allocation in project professional 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

One of the resource i just allocated less than 5 hrs (for all the tasks and 4 project plans) in Project Professional 2010 but it says Over allocated which should not be the case

Tried all feasibility to resolve the issue

1. Confirmed resource allocated less than 5 hrs for all the tasks.

2. Max units is 100%

3. Resource being used standard enterprise calendar without any exceptions

4. Resource Leveling (Minute by Minute)

5. Task Inspector

But no luck. I didn't understand  few of the tasks are assigned just 1 hr but still says Over allocated same thing happened for 3-4 project plans. 

Error screenshot below

Overallocated

Regards

Santosh

Monday, November 23, 2015 5:01 PM

All replies

• itsmesantosh1982 --

Your problem is caused by using the Minute by Minute setting.  Change the setting to Day by Day and the problem will go away.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, November 23, 2015 5:04 PM
  • Hi Dale

Thanks for the reply. already tried Minute by Minute, Day By Day, Hour by Hour but no luck

Regards

Santosh

Monday, November 23, 2015 6:19 PM
  • What is the max units for that resource? They may have been set as unavailable for that time frame, so any allocation is an over allocation.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Monday, November 23, 2015 9:49 PM
  • You can zoom all the way in on the task usage view or resource usage view timescale until you can see exactly where the over-allocation occurs to the minute.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2015 3:59 AM
  • Max Units is 100%

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 9:42 AM
  • Thanks Trevor. I did that but resource only allocated to 5% (across all the projects) for certain days which shows over allocated

Any Suggestions ?

Regards

Santosh

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 9:47 AM
  • When I look at your screen shot, you're using Project Server, and these over allocations are coming from other projects and commitments, and specifically one project.  Please open up that project, and review the data.  You may need to uncheck "Load Summary Resource Assignments" to get to the bottom of this issue...

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 10:16 PM
  • Hi Ben

Thanks for the reply.

Correct. I am connect to project server 2010. I already proposed "Load Summary Resource Assignments" to uncheck but unfortunately without this setting cant able to see allocation across the projects

I just worried because resources is allocated just 0.02 hr on 19th Oct across all the projects why it showing as "Over allocated"

I couldn't able to figure it out. Please help me to resolve the issue.

Let me know if you need any additional info 

Regards

Santosh

Sunday, November 29, 2015 2:06 PM
  • Hi Santosh,

If I may jump in, which SP and CU have you installed so far? I remember that some fixes around the SP2 do deal with overallocations bugs.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/projectsupport/p/msp10.aspx

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

Monday, November 30, 2015 8:26 AM
  • My point was, if you uncheck the Load Summary Resource Assignments temporarily, do you see the overallocation in the project where the summary resource assignments are loaded from?

Monday, November 30, 2015 9:03 AM
  • Hi Guillaume 

SP2 installed on Microsoft Project Professional 2010

Regards

Santosh

Monday, November 30, 2015 3:00 PM
  • Hi Ben

If i uncheck "Load Summary Resource Assignments" option then i don't see resource over allocated.

But we wont able to see the resource assignments across all the project plans

Dont know what went wrong

Regards

Santosh

Monday, November 30, 2015 3:07 PM
  • Okay, I want to be very specific. 

If you uncheck the Load Summary Resource Assignments temporarily, and then open the project where the over allocations were coming from (in the summary resource assignments), do you see the overallocation in the individual project?

I'm trying to work out where the issue is...

Monday, November 30, 2015 3:47 PM
  • Hi Ben

Sorry for late reply. My findings below

Let us take an example, User "Victor" has been assigned to below Projects
     ProjectA
     ProjectB
     ProjectC
     ProjectD

If i check "Resource Load Summary Assignments" and below the scenario

ProjectA - user is red in color in resource sheet(showing as overallocated)
     ProjectB - user is red in color in resource sheet(showing as overallocated)
     ProjectC - One of the task (Gantt Chart) showing as Over allocated against Indication column where as user just allocated less than an hour (red color in resource sheet)
     ProjectD - user is red in color in resource sheet(showing as overallocated)

If i uncheck "Resource Load Summary Assignments" and below the scenario

ProjectA - user is not red in color in resource sheet
     ProjectB - user is not red in color in resource sheet
     ProjectC - Task (Gantt) is not showing over allocated in the indication column how ever user is still red in color in resource sheet
     ProjectD - user is not red in color in resource sheet

Hope it helps to narrow down. I couldn't able to figure it out where the issue was

Regards

Santosh

Sunday, December 6, 2015 6:40 PM
  • Hi Santosh,

then it's worth opening up Project C only, with no summary resource assignments, and doing some further checking.  It should not be that the user is red in the resource sheet and that they is no red indicator in the gantt chart.  Please check how many assignments this user has in Project C.

Monday, December 7, 2015 7:54 AM
  • Hi Ben

I opened the Project C with no summary resource assignments and noticed there is no red indicator in the Gantt Chart but in the resource sheet its showing as RED

There are 14 assignments for this user in the Project C

This week couple of users reported the same issue. scratching my head

Regards

Santosh

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 5:34 PM
  • Hi Santosh, well I would review each assignment in the Resource Usage view, but without seeing the actual plan, I can't really help further and I've run out of ideas, other than removing each assignment one by one, and then reassigning the resource, and seeing if that resolves the issue.   This might be complicated a little if there is actual work on the assignment.

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 8:19 PM