none
Not getting option to Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot DPM 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I am running DPM 2012 R2 fully patched.

I am trying to use Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot of a Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 Datacenter Cluster using CSV.

I get no option to use Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot, just online backup.

I have gone through the steps in the Microsoft document "Configure CSV Backups" http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh758027.aspx (Some steps did not apply due to my not using Windows 2008 R2)

Has "Backup Using Child Partiton Snapshot" been replaced by "\Online\VMName" ?

What am I missing?

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 8:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, Windows server 2012 R2 has changed the caption from "Backup Using Child Partiton Snapshot" to "\Online\VMName" - DPM is displaying the new caption when protecting Windows Server 2012 R2 guests.

MORE INFORMATION

To list Windows 2012 R2 hyper-V writer captions for guests to see if online or offline state backups will be done:

From an administrative command prompt on the Hyper-V server:

a. Type: copy con script.txt and press enter
     b. Type: list writers and press enter
     c. Press CTRL + Z + enter (to save)
     d. Type: diskshadow /s script.txt | find /i "caption: O"

Output will be displayed for each guest as follows.

C:\temp>diskshadow /s script.txt | find /i "caption: O"
                            - Caption: Online\SQLSERVER
                            - Caption: Offline\WSS-V14

The Windows 2012 R2 Hyper-V writer adds the VM in the following format:

For offline backups: Offline\<VMName>
     For online  backups: Online\<VMName>

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 11:36 PM