none
How does "switch user" works internally in Windows?

Question

• My company technical team member initiated an update 5 installation to Visual Studio 2013 but as I had to head for a meeting, I had to use the computer. So i tried the switch user option. My questions are

1. I can see a process VS2013.5.exe in Task Manager with some memory allocated. So even if i am logged in, whether the installation still continue and complete it?

2. What is really happening when one user switch in Windows OS? Is there any technical documentation from Microsoft side?

Thursday, December 10, 2015 4:37 AM

Answers

• Hi Antoops,

Welcome to Microsoft TechNet Forum.

When you switch the user but not log off, the system will continue performing the running process which is in the original user account unless the different user end the process manually. In addition to that, please pay attention to saving the files before you switch user due to the file will not be saved automatically when the different user end the process or shutdown the PC. 

Here is an official article about the difference between logging off and switching user. Maybe you could get more information in the link below. Although the link is applied to Windows XP, the Summary is applied to Windows 7 too and please pay attention to it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/279782

Hope that will be helpful to you.

Best Regards

Simon   

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 11, 2015 2:49 AM

All replies

• When you switch users, other user profiles won't logged off and they just lock so if other user running other process or installing other programs it continues while you could login with your user.

So if any update or installation is in progress, you it will continue even if you switch users.

However it is different with log off when all tasks from previous users will be terminated and if you login new task is in progress.

You should take note that updates also run for all users in administrator level, so let say if an update is in progress like 50% and if you login with another user it continue from 50% and forward.

Thursday, December 10, 2015 9:56 AM
  • Hi Antoops,

Welcome to Microsoft TechNet Forum.

When you switch the user but not log off, the system will continue performing the running process which is in the original user account unless the different user end the process manually. In addition to that, please pay attention to saving the files before you switch user due to the file will not be saved automatically when the different user end the process or shutdown the PC. 

Here is an official article about the difference between logging off and switching user. Maybe you could get more information in the link below. Although the link is applied to Windows XP, the Summary is applied to Windows 7 too and please pay attention to it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/279782

Hope that will be helpful to you.

Best Regards

Simon   

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 11, 2015 2:49 AM
  • Hi,

We wonder if you are satisfied with answer. If you feel that the answer helps you, you could mark it as an answer. If you have any other questions about it, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Best Regards

Simon

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 7:22 AM