Can't get any software to install RRS feed

• Question

•  

I've been unsuccessful at getting any software to install with SCE in my test environment.  I've tried different msi files that should work, and exe files that support a /s switch.  (The last exe I tried, supports a /s switch.  It failed during creation with a verification of file signature error, whereas the rest usually create successfully and then give 'not installed/not applicable' status).  I can run them all from the command line of the client with success. 

A good example for testing would be PolicyMaker Standard Edition Client.  It's a small msi file with no switches required, and we've been deploying it in our production environment via group policy with success.  I'm at a loss, any suggestions are appreciated. 

I installed the two client machines from scratch (XP sp2) purposely not updating them until they were part of the SCE managed environment.  They received updates fine and are reporting updates to the SCE server correctly.  The SCE server is a 2003 standard with DC/DNS roles.  The server and both workstations have static ip addresses.

The installation files are copied over from another domain, if that would have any ill effects. 

Thanks,

jt

Thursday, March 20, 2008 7:21 PM

Answers

• Hi Eric,

The security had domain/users with read, read & execute, list folder contents, but 'Everyone' was not listed.  I'm not sure what difference that makes (or would have made had I not added Everyone) but I added them, approved a new package, and left it overnight to see if it would automatically install, and it seems to have worked.

Thanks!

Josh

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 3:12 PM

All replies

• Hi jt,

Please disable all third-party anti-virus, anti-malware, firewall applications, then open a command prompt on the clients and run "wuauclt /detectnow" to install it again.

If the problem still persists, please send "%windir%windowsupdate.log" to SCEDATA@microsoft.com <mailtoTongue TiedCEDATA@microsoft.com>.

Note:

Please include the following three lines in the email body:

Can't get any software to install
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/AddPost.aspx?PostID=3039108&SiteID=17
    Eric Zhang - MSFT

Regarding more information about how to send email to SCEDATA@microsoft.com, please refer to:

How to send files to the Microsoft SCE team for review
    <http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1680389&SiteID=17>

Also, please post a quick note in the current thread to inform me after sending the email.

Thanks!

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Monday, March 24, 2008 7:44 AM
  •  

Hi Eric,

Neither workstation has any antivirus or anti-malware, and windows firewall is off on both.  I ran the requested wuauclt /detectnow with no results.

I emailed as requested, and attached a zip file with the log files from the two workstations and the server, as well as a screen shot of the alerts screen from SCE.  I have several alerts regarding performance indicators, which I doubt is vital.  Also a database alert, which is more worrisome.  And there have been some random 'script or executable failed to run', which was supposed to be resolved with SP1.  Also, at one point the OpsMgr Config Service stopped for some reason and gave an alert, so I restarted it and the alert went away. 

Thanks,

jt 

Monday, March 24, 2008 4:13 PM
  • Hi jt,

From your logs, I find this errorTongue TiedyncUpdates failure, error = 0x8024400D, soap client error = 7, soap error code = 300, HTTP status code = 200

Please try the following steps:

Open a command prompt and run :

net stop cryptsvc
    ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 oldcatroot2
    net start cryptsvc

then run "wuauclt /detectnow" to receive and install the software again.

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 6:34 AM
  • Eric,

It seems to have the same result after the above steps, 'Not Installed/Not applicable'.  I'm not familiar with the catroot2 functionality, but after taking the above steps, a new catroot2 wasn't created. 

Thanks,

jt

Thursday, March 27, 2008 8:03 PM
  • Hi jt,

It appears the update did not complete installation upon reboot.

Please open Control Panel, Add & Remove
    I
    f the software is listed, uninstall it

Also clear the update from the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder

Try to run "wuauclt /detectnow" again after a reboot.

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Friday, March 28, 2008 8:54 AM
  • Hi Eric,

The software did not appear in Add/Remove programs on either test workstation.  Nor was there anything in the C:\windows\softwaredistributino\download folder.  After rebooting and running wuauclt /detectnow, still no results.  And there's still no new catroot2 folder.  When first setting up SCE, regular updates seemed to work fine and report fine to the server, it's just the software packages that seem to have a problem.

Thanks,

Josh

Friday, March 28, 2008 6:05 PM
  • Hi Josh,

Please try the following steps to check whether the software can be installed.

1. During the approing porcess in the SCE console, Choose "Publish packages to Add/Remove programs".

2. Log on to the client with administrator account and run "wuauclt /detectnow".

3. Open "control panel", select "Add/Remove Programs".

4. Choose "Add new programs", check whether the software will appear and try to install it.

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Monday, March 31, 2008 8:38 AM
  • This seemed to work, thanks.  Will it be necessary to do this manually each time?  I was hopeful this would be more of an automated process, much like the windows updates.  Thanks for all your help with this.

Josh

Monday, March 31, 2008 2:08 PM
  • Hi Josh,

Pleae check the sharing and security setting of the "updateservicespackages" folder on the SCE server, and make sure the "Everyone" has the "read" right in "Sharing tab" and domain user has the "read" right in "Security tab".

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 8:09 AM
  • Hi Eric,

The security had domain/users with read, read & execute, list folder contents, but 'Everyone' was not listed.  I'm not sure what difference that makes (or would have made had I not added Everyone) but I added them, approved a new package, and left it overnight to see if it would automatically install, and it seems to have worked.

Thanks!

Josh

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 3:12 PM