none
Adjusting timescale on timeline RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 21 year project and have found the answers I need with regard to zooming in and saving a specific portion of the timeline (say 3 months or 5 years or whatever) for future viewing and manipulation and also understand how to copy and paste that view into another software package (such as Powerpoint) to pretty it up.  However................... have not yet found an answer regarding how to adjust the timescale (to specifically a timescale I want to see) on a portion of the project.  In timeline view there do not seem to be any menu features addressing whether I want to see time increments of say: days, months, quarters or years for example.  Yes, I can use the zoom feature and the time increments will be adjusted by a Project default but how do I make it apply the timescale I want to see automatically?  I don't want to have to do it manually in another program, I just want to select it from a drop down menu when I'm displaying a certain portion of the timeline.

Thursday, February 9, 2012 7:21 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the input Rob but unfortunately that doesn't work.  When I'm in timeline view (not just at the top of my Gantt but full page timeline view as opposed to any other), I cannot change the timeline specifically to what I want.  Project will change the timeline automatically when I zoom in and out but I want to specify how the timeline should be shown; i.e. - the increments of time I want displayed - rather than having to copy and paste it into another programme to adjust it manually.  I'm convinced that functionality doesn't currently exist and hope it's added in future releases.
    Monday, February 13, 2012 11:14 PM

All replies

• Have you tried: Menu: View, Zoom "area" (I forget what this bit of the top menus in Office is called), pull down the combo box under the word "Timescale:", pick "Timescale ...".  I suspect all you need is there. 

You can also use Project's filtering capablity to filter to the rows, in case that of interest.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

• Edited by Rob Schneider Thursday, February 9, 2012 8:18 AM spelling.
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 8:18 AM
  • I looked at this but the zoom button seemed to be greyed out which seemed very odd.  Is the timeline that basic?

Miles

Friday, February 10, 2012 10:04 AM
  • Thanks for the input Rob but unfortunately that doesn't work.  When I'm in timeline view (not just at the top of my Gantt but full page timeline view as opposed to any other), I cannot change the timeline specifically to what I want.  Project will change the timeline automatically when I zoom in and out but I want to specify how the timeline should be shown; i.e. - the increments of time I want displayed - rather than having to copy and paste it into another programme to adjust it manually.  I'm convinced that functionality doesn't currently exist and hope it's added in future releases.
    Monday, February 13, 2012 11:14 PM
  • try ctrl+/ and ctrl+*

they are the lifesavers....no gui way to do it whatsoever...

• Proposed as answer by askerinchief Tuesday, September 23, 2014 9:38 PM
    Tuesday, September 23, 2014 9:38 PM
  • You are in Western Australia. So am I. We might be with 5 km of each other. Call me. I will fix it.
    Tuesday, September 23, 2014 11:15 PM
  • This method works to change the timeline, timescale. Thanks.
    Monday, February 24, 2020 6:37 PM