none
DNS Forward all entries that are not in AD RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

Is it possible to set the DNS in AD in such a way to forward all the DNS entries that are not found on the local DNS zone to an external forwarder? 

Example the local AD DNS is test.com and there are entries outside the DNS hosted on GoDaddy or similar hosting provider that are not listed in AD. Is it possible to route everything to the external DNS if not found in the local AD DNS for test.com? I understand that it would be easier just adding the entries to the local DNS, but I got this curious query from a client and wanted to check if it's possible. 

Thanks in advance.

Monday, September 11, 2017 3:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi JCarabott,

>>but I got this curious query from a client and wanted to check if it's possible. 

For example ,when the client wants to resolve www.test.com, it will only query to the local DNS zone of test.com. If the queried name does not find a matched answer in the local zone of test.com , it will not go forwarder or root hints.

As the workaround you said, it would be easier just adding the A record of www into the zone of test.com.

You also could refer to the following methods:

1. Install IIS on the DCs and redirect

2. Prevent the DCs from registering of the domain host records

For more details, please refer to the following link:

DNS (internal domain has same name as external website)

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/4d97325b-ff3a-4f46-ba6e-dc3f4ff978e1/dns-internal-domain-has-same-name-as-external-website?forum=winserverNIS

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by JCarabott Tuesday, September 12, 2017 7:23 AM
    Tuesday, September 12, 2017 6:31 AM
  • its just guessing, can you try this, primary DNS as Local DNS IP and Secondary DNS as Public one on client PC, this may not reach your expectation but hope it worth try

NTRao

Tuesday, September 12, 2017 7:57 AM