none
What can we do with SCCM 2012 on Workgroup computers

Question

• Hi Guys,

I'm really new to SCCM 2012 and I'm struggling with its new functionalities.

I installed SCCM agent on a workgroup computer and gave it the parameters SMSSITECODE and DNSSUFFIX.

First, I would like to know the tasks that it's possible to perform on Workgroup computers (Inventory, application deployement ....)

Second, In my client computer, on Configuration Manager in Control Panel, in Actions TAB I have only : 

* Machine Policy Retrieval and Evaluation Cycle

* User Policy Retrieval and Evaluation Cycle

Is that normal ? (On Site Tab I can see my site code), If not, what should I do?

Thanks in Advance.

Friday, August 24, 2012 12:22 PM

Answers

• You should see more than the machine policy and user policy evaluation cycles in the control panel, even on a minimally configured client. This is a symptom of a client that's either not registered with the site, or that's not approved. Most likely it is not approved which would make sense since approval relies on AD authentication which naturally you won't get with a workgroup machine.

If you see the client in the All Systems collection, check if it's approved or not. If it's not approved, it will not receive most policy (this different than ConfigMgr 2007 where a client that is not approved would still receive most policy) and this could cause what you're seeing. Approve the client through the administrator console and on the next policy polling interval, the client should begin to function normally.

If the client shows as N/A approval or as Client = No, this means that something happened in the initial registration that failed. You can check the clientidmanagerstartup.log on the client for more troubleshooting details.

Friday, August 24, 2012 6:30 PM

All replies

• You can do everything that you can do with a domain-joined system (except for distributing software etc to AD domain related objects: groups, OUs etc).
    See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712701.aspx and examine ClientLocation.log and LocationServices.log. Having only 2 actions indicates that the client was not able to retrieve policies from the MP.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Friday, August 24, 2012 12:32 PM
  • To manage clients in workgroup you can  refer http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682055.aspx

Friday, August 24, 2012 12:43 PM
  • Thanks Torsten for your reply.

Hers is what Clientlocation.log says : 

<![LOG[Current Assigned Management Point is SRV-SCCM.ONPNET.ROOT.ONP with Version 7711 and Capabilities: <Capabilities SchemaVersion="1.0"><Property Name="SSLState" Value="0"/></Capabilities>]LOG]!><time="14:56:39.281-120" date="08-24-2012" component="ClientLocation" context="" type="1" thread="588" file="smsclientclass.cpp:1165">

And hers's what LocationServices.log says : 

<![LOG[Begin checking Alternate Network Configuration]LOG]!><time="10:39:31.531-120" date="08-24-2012" component="LocationServices" context="" type="1" thread="1820" file="ccmiputil.cpp:1069">
    <![LOG[Finished checking Alternate Network Configuration]LOG]!><time="10:39:31.546-120" date="08-24-2012" component="LocationServices" context="" type="1" thread="1820" file="ccmiputil.cpp:1146">
    <![LOG[Updating portal information.]LOG]!><time="10:39:31.718-120" date="08-24-2012" component="LocationServices" context="" type="1" thread="1028" file="lssecurity.cpp:4108">

Does this mean that all is fine at the client side?

And in Configuration Manager in Control Panel I have only two options as I stated earlier : 

Friday, August 24, 2012 2:13 PM
  • You should see more than the machine policy and user policy evaluation cycles in the control panel, even on a minimally configured client. This is a symptom of a client that's either not registered with the site, or that's not approved. Most likely it is not approved which would make sense since approval relies on AD authentication which naturally you won't get with a workgroup machine.

If you see the client in the All Systems collection, check if it's approved or not. If it's not approved, it will not receive most policy (this different than ConfigMgr 2007 where a client that is not approved would still receive most policy) and this could cause what you're seeing. Approve the client through the administrator console and on the next policy polling interval, the client should begin to function normally.

If the client shows as N/A approval or as Client = No, this means that something happened in the initial registration that failed. You can check the clientidmanagerstartup.log on the client for more troubleshooting details.

Friday, August 24, 2012 6:30 PM