none
Task with "1.88 days" in the "duration" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

For some reason some of my tasks have a decimal point of .88 days or 1.88 days or 18.06 days or 12.19 days.  Can any help me so that I only have full days or half days (i.e. "1.5 days" would be acceptable but not "1.88 days").

I would reaaaaly appreciate your help.

Thank you.  Mary

Monday, July 29, 2013 2:23 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This is how I rectified it years ago hen I myself fell into this pit:

Make sure you have all the tasks in your view

Copy all the duration values

Paste in Excel

With an Excel formula, eliminate the d then multiply by (New Hours per day)/(Old hours per day)

Copy, then paste in the duration column.

Greetings,

Friday, August 2, 2013 11:36 AM

All replies

• MaryProject --

Microsoft Project calculates Duration and Work at the 1-minute level, which makes the Start date and Finish date of every task very precise.  If you see a task with a Duration value of 1.88 days, this means that the Duration of the task is 1 full day plus 7 hours of the next day.  If the task starts at 8:00 AM, then it will finish at 4:00 PM the next day.  There is no way to force Microsoft Project to calculate Duration values at full days or half days, as you desire.  Instead, I would recommend that you learn to live with the precision the software is offering you.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by MaryProject Friday, August 2, 2013 11:25 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by MaryProject Friday, August 2, 2013 11:25 AM
    Monday, July 29, 2013 2:41 PM
  • Hi Mary,

This generally comes about when inFile, Options, you cange the definition of "a day" by resetting the hours per day parameter. Suppose you enter 2 d as a duration at a time the parameter stands at 8 hours per day. Project never internally stores days (as Dale says, is unit is minutes) but in this example, 960 miniutes. When after that, you tell project that a day in 8,5 hours project will recalculate he duration in hours as 960/510 = 1,88 days.

Avoid it? set the hours per day right before entering durations, then do not change the parameter.

Greetings,

Monday, July 29, 2013 5:22 PM
  • I this happen a long time ago when changing the number of resources assigned to work on a task.  I am far from an expert but you might research effort driven tasks: google "why does project change duration when adding resources" and click first link

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 7:59 PM
  • Hi,

For some reason some of my tasks have a decimal point of .88 days or 1.88 days or 18.06 days or 12.19 days.  Can any help me so that I only have full days or half days (i.e. "1.5 days" would be acceptable but not "1.88 days").

I would reaaaaly appreciate your help.

Thank you.  Mary

Thank you so much all!

Other than living with the problem, and other than setting the hours per day before setting durations, what can I do to rectify the problem now that I have already entered all my tasks?

Friday, August 2, 2013 10:41 AM
  • Hi,

This is how I rectified it years ago hen I myself fell into this pit:

Make sure you have all the tasks in your view

Copy all the duration values

Paste in Excel

With an Excel formula, eliminate the d then multiply by (New Hours per day)/(Old hours per day)

Copy, then paste in the duration column.

Greetings,

Friday, August 2, 2013 11:36 AM