Cluster Share Volume RRS feed

• Question

• Can  I use CSV for implementing MS SQL 2012 clustering.  I read  a article that says " NOT SUPPORTED for SQL Server clustered Workloads".

Does it mean that I cannot use CSV for implementing MS SQL 2012 clustering. ?

Monday, April 22, 2013 7:53 PM

Answers

• That is correct.  You cannot put your SQL Server databases directly on a CSV volume in a cluster.  You can however put your SQL Server databases on a Scale Out File Server that utilizes CSV and connect to it via SMB 3.0, but that is not really what you asked about.

What exactly is your use case?  Why would you want to use CSV to hold your SQL databases? There might be a better alternative.

David A. Bermingham, MVP, Senior Technical Evangelist, SIOS Technology Corp

• Marked as answer by sgpie Monday, April 22, 2013 10:46 PM
    Monday, April 22, 2013 8:54 PM

All replies

• That is correct.  You cannot put your SQL Server databases directly on a CSV volume in a cluster.  You can however put your SQL Server databases on a Scale Out File Server that utilizes CSV and connect to it via SMB 3.0, but that is not really what you asked about.

What exactly is your use case?  Why would you want to use CSV to hold your SQL databases? There might be a better alternative.

David A. Bermingham, MVP, Senior Technical Evangelist, SIOS Technology Corp

• Marked as answer by sgpie Monday, April 22, 2013 10:46 PM
    Monday, April 22, 2013 8:54 PM
  • Thank you for the clarification.

We are a oracle /linux shop moving to windows/sql  environment and are not very familiar with detailed aspects of implementing SQL clusters. The SA has provided us CSV as shared storage between the two nodes.

Monday, April 22, 2013 10:49 PM