Vista x64 Ultimate + SP 1 & 4 GB of RAM... RRS feed

• Question

• Picked up 2 memory sticks today and you can bet I was excited on the drive home.  I plug the sticks in and my BIOS only reports 3 GB, bummer.  Boot to windows vista x64, it says 4 GB in the performance center.  Task list tells otherwise, 3069.  So I did a lot of reading via google, rebooted into my BIOS turned on a memory hole remap.  Rebooted to Vista, everything appears to work well 4 GB in the BIOS 4 GB in Vista task manager.  But something just isn't right.  I sign in to AIM open up outlook everything is great.   Then I try to open up IE 64-bit and go to a website... BAM. my screen goes black and the monitors soon post "no signal."  Only option at this point is to reboot.  I tried it again nervously, only opening up IE7 (64-bit) and my screen goes black immediately.  I have an AMD x64 3800+ processor and an ASUS A8S-X motherboard with 4 GB ultra DDR PC3200.

I turned off the memory hole and my machine is working good enough that I can post this.  Please help.

Monday, April 7, 2008 4:37 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Based on my research, the motherboard ASUS A8S-X is quite a legacy one and doesn’t support Windows Vista. Please refer to the following page:

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=15&l3=228&l4=0&model=755&modelmenu=2

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?modelname=A8S-X&SLanguage=en-us

Therefore, I think this issue should be incompatibility related. To thoroughly solve this problem, you may need to contact ASUS for further support. A driver designed for Windows Vista is necessary for a reliable and steady operating system, alternatively, upgrade your motherboard  in order to acquire more exciting experience from Windows Vista.

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Cheers,

Lionel

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 7:33 AM
  • i would just recomend a new motherboard and CPU you can try incessing power slightly in the BIOS (all specs) to see if iw wolud help but it looks like you need to update the system
    also make shure the voltages are right in the bios for your new ram
    Wednesday, April 9, 2008 1:02 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Based on my research, the motherboard ASUS A8S-X is quite a legacy one and doesn’t support Windows Vista. Please refer to the following page:

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=15&l3=228&l4=0&model=755&modelmenu=2

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?modelname=A8S-X&SLanguage=en-us

Therefore, I think this issue should be incompatibility related. To thoroughly solve this problem, you may need to contact ASUS for further support. A driver designed for Windows Vista is necessary for a reliable and steady operating system, alternatively, upgrade your motherboard  in order to acquire more exciting experience from Windows Vista.

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Cheers,

Lionel

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 7:33 AM
  • I am going to report the same problem - I have 4 - 1gb sticks of ram and it only shows up as 3gb - I even switched out the ram with good sticks (etc etc etc).

I just upgraded the bios also because at this point I would have bet money that was going to fix the problem.  This board will only show 3gb but the board specs clearly say 4gb.  To prove my point of the boards limits I wish I had 2 - 512mb sticks so I could make a 3gb setup and see if the ram clocks backup to the right speed ...because its reading as 3gb between 3 sticks instead of 1 its only running in single chan. mode. 

There has to be a ton of people w/ the board cause it was popular - If the bios isn't detecting the 4gb then it doesnt matter what OS you are running.  Someone please reply cause this odd issue is bothersome.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 11:46 AM
  • i would just recomend a new motherboard and CPU you can try incessing power slightly in the BIOS (all specs) to see if iw wolud help but it looks like you need to update the system
    also make shure the voltages are right in the bios for your new ram
    Wednesday, April 9, 2008 1:02 AM