none
Restore DPM 2012 system state to ESX VM - no network before booting OS RRS feed

• Question

• I was setting up and testing DPM 2012 in our lab. i think i got it running ok. 

I wanted to test system state recovery and did some search,  looks like the best way is to 

1) boot with windows ISO and select Repair my compute

2) select network share with backup file.

My issue is that in our lab the VM does NOT get network connectivity until the OS is booted , so i m unable to browse to the network location to select the backup file. 

As an alternative i went on the server to restore and installed windows, installed windows backup, tried a manual restore from the DPM files but i m getting the error that no backup files were found even though the directory contains the Hard Disk Image File and all XML files are there. 

question: is there a guide to restore a ESX VM from DPM 2012 backups ?  what are the requirements? 

i was following this : http://www.virtualizationadmin.com/articles-tutorials/vmware-esx-and-vsphere-articles/backup-recovery/backup-restore-windows-virtual-machines-vmware-vsphere-system-center-dpm-2010.html

but sounds like they have network connectivity ( maybe PXE boot ) prior to OS booting which i dont have at the moment.  

Thursday, March 19, 2015 5:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

When you specify the folder where your System State has been restored, you have to specify the folder containing the folder "WindowsImageBackup".

Let's say you recover the System State to D:\SystemStateRestore. DPM will create a folder within SystemStateRestore called "DPM_Recovered_At_<Date and Time>" and inside that folder you will find the WindowsImageBackup.

So in this case you will have to provide the path \\servername\D$\SystemStateRestore\DPM_Recovered_At_<Date and Time>" in Windows Server Backup.

Note: Your pathname cannot exceed 260 characters and you have to have read access on the folder and its files. In case your pathname gets to long, create a share for the folder and provide the sharename instead. For Example: \\servername\RestoredSystemState\.

• Marked as answer by TNTXIII Tuesday, March 24, 2015 5:25 PM
    Monday, March 23, 2015 11:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

When you specify the folder where your System State has been restored, you have to specify the folder containing the folder "WindowsImageBackup".

Let's say you recover the System State to D:\SystemStateRestore. DPM will create a folder within SystemStateRestore called "DPM_Recovered_At_<Date and Time>" and inside that folder you will find the WindowsImageBackup.

So in this case you will have to provide the path \\servername\D$\SystemStateRestore\DPM_Recovered_At_<Date and Time>" in Windows Server Backup.

Note: Your pathname cannot exceed 260 characters and you have to have read access on the folder and its files. In case your pathname gets to long, create a share for the folder and provide the sharename instead. For Example: \\servername\RestoredSystemState\.

• Marked as answer by TNTXIII Tuesday, March 24, 2015 5:25 PM
    Monday, March 23, 2015 11:17 PM
  • Markus thank you so much !!!  

i spent my time trying to point it to the folders below " WindowsImageBackup " folder.

once you showed me the "DPM_Recovered_at " folder it worked right away! 

thanks again! 

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 5:33 PM