How to restore installed application programs after I reinstall windows XP? RRS feed

• Question

• I didn't backup before I reinstalled Windows XP, but chose "leave other files unchanged" when I reinstalled. After the reinstallation, most application programs/data files and folders/subfolders are not damaged/overitten. But the application programs are not listed in the list of "currently installed programs" and I can not run them. Is there any way to restore them instead of reinstalling these application programs?

Thanks

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:59 PM

Answers

• All the programs are installed under windows folder. When you select the option "leave other files unchanged", the systems does not change any of user created files, ie. any files you create in C: or any other location, but in the same time windows replaces all its folders. So, the folder where all the programs are installed are deleted. If you install any applicaiton in D:\Program Files (You manually create this), after selecting "leave other files unchanged" , the program in D: will be retained, but you wont be able to see the same in Add and remove prgrams.
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 5:21 AM

All replies

• All the programs are installed under windows folder. When you select the option "leave other files unchanged", the systems does not change any of user created files, ie. any files you create in C: or any other location, but in the same time windows replaces all its folders. So, the folder where all the programs are installed are deleted. If you install any applicaiton in D:\Program Files (You manually create this), after selecting "leave other files unchanged" , the program in D: will be retained, but you wont be able to see the same in Add and remove prgrams.
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 5:21 AM
  •   Re-install installs a fresh copy of XP. You can preserve your files and folders, but programs must be installed again.

Having a backup would not have helped. You cannot install a program from backup.

Bill

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:00 AM