Cannot install ConfigMgr Tools on Windows 7 x64 PC RRS feed

• Question

• I can bring up the installer (configmgrtools.exe) without problems, but as soon as I click "Next" the install window just disappears and the install cancels.

Sorry if this article is in the wrong place - admins: please feel free to relocate appropriately if so desired

Info:

I'm running a Windows 7 Enterprise x64 desktop.

I tried to install the "Configuration Manager Console Tools" on my desktop; i had successfully installed this on my previous Vista desktop. Pardon if I'm a little sketchy about names. (i've spent literally several hours poring over this issue and i'm still confused). I simply work as a Service Desk tech and i need the toolkit that allows me to add/remove computer accounts from SCCM, view Packages and the like. I believe it's just call the "console."

Every time i try to run the executable that we have been using (it's labeled configmgrtools.exe if that helps any), the install window pops up and i get the splash page for the install. However, as soon as I click "Next" the install window just disappears.

Please provide guidance/assistance if you have any ideas!

Friday, May 14, 2010 2:40 AM

Answers

• Hi Ben,

Please insure that you have done the following things before installing a SCCM Console on the desktop:

1. Any administrators who will use a remote Configuration Manager console require Remote Activation DCOM permissions on both the site server computer and SMS Provider computer.

Follow the below link:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb632991.aspx

2. Before installing the Configuration Manager console on a remote computer, you should ensure that it meets the minimum requirements outlined in the Configuration Manager supported configurations, as well as the following installation prerequisites:

• Microsoft Management Console (MMC) 3.0
  • .NET Framework 2.0. .NET Framework 2.0

3. The admin console is only supported on:

* Primary site servers (not secondary site servers)
    * Non-site systems

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Akhil

• Thanks, Akhilesh
  • Proposed as answer by Akhilesh Gupta Monday, May 17, 2010 6:30 AM
  • Marked as answer by Ben Lord Wednesday, May 19, 2010 11:59 PM
Monday, May 17, 2010 5:48 AM

All replies

• are you installing http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=5a47b972-95d2-46b1-ab14-5d0cbce54eb8

anyways try to run that tool by elevated access...

Abhishek Joshi | Blog :- www.MicrosoftTechEd.com Personal site : www.AbhishekJoshi.com
    Friday, May 14, 2010 5:20 AM
  • No, I am trying to install the Config Manager Console. Its the same thing as what you would see on your SCCM server, except that you can use it from a desktop instead of having to RDP into the server.

Google images to the rescue! It looks like this: http://www.thevintagegallery.net/picture_library/EBAYPICS/SCCM/CONFIG/how%20can%20I%20configure%20SCCM%202007%20SP1%20in%20Windows%20Server%202008%20-%20windows-noob_com-forums%20PART%202_files/post-1-1219829688.jpg
    Sorry for the ugly long link. I'm not HTML/forum-saavy enough to remember how to write a friendly display for links.

I've tried running it as an admin (even though I'm an admin and i work in admin approval mode), i've tried running it as our DOMAIN admin. I've tried running it in Vista and XP compatibility modes.
    The only thing i think *might* be related is Microsoft Forefront security. I was using Symantec on my last desktop, but our Windows 7 x64 desktops use Forefront instead. Could it be interfering with the installation?

Friday, May 14, 2010 6:02 AM
  • didnt get you... if you are installing console then why are you are installing through this exe.... run ConfigMgr setup and select Console option there..
    Abhishek Joshi | Blog :- www.MicrosoftTechEd.com Personal site : www.AbhishekJoshi.com
    Friday, May 14, 2010 7:08 AM
  • I'm sorry, I don't quite follow you. If i am trying to install the Console on my Windows 7 x64 Desktop in order to remotely manage SCCM, what should I be doing instead? Which utility should I be using?
    Monday, May 17, 2010 4:19 AM
  • Hi Ben,

Please insure that you have done the following things before installing a SCCM Console on the desktop:

1. Any administrators who will use a remote Configuration Manager console require Remote Activation DCOM permissions on both the site server computer and SMS Provider computer.

Follow the below link:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb632991.aspx

2. Before installing the Configuration Manager console on a remote computer, you should ensure that it meets the minimum requirements outlined in the Configuration Manager supported configurations, as well as the following installation prerequisites:

• Microsoft Management Console (MMC) 3.0
  • .NET Framework 2.0. .NET Framework 2.0

3. The admin console is only supported on:

* Primary site servers (not secondary site servers)
    * Non-site systems

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Akhil

• Thanks, Akhilesh
  • Proposed as answer by Akhilesh Gupta Monday, May 17, 2010 6:30 AM
  • Marked as answer by Ben Lord Wednesday, May 19, 2010 11:59 PM
Monday, May 17, 2010 5:48 AM
  • Got it now! Thanks!
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 12:00 AM