Word file in Word 365 crashes every time when im trying to create bullets or numbering RRS feed

• Question

• Word file in Word 365 crashes every time when im trying to create bullets or numbering. What should I do? (Win10)
    Monday, January 14, 2019 7:48 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Did this problem appear in all Word documents or specific documents?

I suggest you try to open Word in safe mode: Press Win + R, type " winword /safe" in the blank box, press Enter. If it works fine in safe mode, please check the add-ins in your word and disable them.

I also suggest you go to this location:

C:\Users\user name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word

Rename the ListGal.dat to ListGal.dat.old, then restart Word and check the result.

Please try these methods and let me know the result, I'm glad to help you.

Regards,

Emi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact: tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Tuesday, January 15, 2019 6:20 AM
  • Exit Word. In File Explorer, display hidden files and folders and then locate the ListGal.dat file. Delete that file and restart Word.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Wednesday, January 16, 2019 3:21 AM
  • Hi, 

Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Regards,

Emi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact: tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Monday, January 21, 2019 2:14 AM
  • Hello Emi

I had the same problem (March 6, 2020) and your RENAME suggestion worked!!  I can use bullets again, but it deleted my 'custom' bullets.  Also the numbering works again.

Thanks so much

Saturday, March 7, 2020 5:41 AM
  • I can use bullets again, but it deleted my 'custom' bullets.  Also the numbering works again.

Deleting the ListGal.dat file will delete any numbering or bullet formats that are present in the galleries on the Home tab.

Note that the safest way to set up bullets and numbering, so that you can also save and reuse the formats, is to make use of styles. See https://shaunakelly.com/word/bullets/controlbullets20072010.html (for bullets) and https://shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/numbering20072010.html (for numbering).

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Saturday, March 7, 2020 3:18 PM