none
DPM and VTL with Duduplication RRS feed

• Question

• We really want to stop using\storing tape media altogether now. 

Can anyone recommend a VTL Deduplication solution compatible with DPM? Has anyone had success in implementing this as a solution and replaced physical tapes altogether?

Many thanks

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 2:42 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Without being a formal endorsement I can say that the EMC VTL product (previously known as Data Domain) works very well with all versions of DPM. I personally use a DD530 for my backups.

See the following for details on getting DPM compatible drivers if you decide to go that route.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/aa40c776-c047-4c96-ba05-6775a4b1b02d/intergrate-emc-vtl-with-ms-dpm-2012?forum=dpmtapebackuprecovery

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, November 7, 2013 1:14 AM
  • Hi, thanks Mike.

I had a quick look. The list of supported backup applications for the starting model (DD2500) doesn't include Data Protection Manager. I can't seem to find the model you mentioned. Do you know if these can be attached via ISCSI? <o:p></o:p>

Thursday, November 7, 2013 11:44 AM
  • Hi Al,

we tested DataDomain and Fujitsu CS800 with DPM 2010.

Both worked quite well. The Fujitsu (which is a Quantum I think) needed ab bit more attendance but had better DeDup rates after a Firmware Upgrade.

As mentioned both did their Job - we used Fibre Channel.

regards

/bkpfast

My postings are provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confer no rights

Thursday, November 7, 2013 2:21 PM
  • Hi Al,

Any EMC VTL that emulates any one of these libraries will work with DPM with the proper drivers from us.

EMC / DD# Tape Library Models Supported
     -----------------------------

Sun/StorageTek L20
     Sun/StorageTek L40
     Sun/StorageTek L80
     Sun/StorageTek L180
     Sun/StorageTek L700
     Sun/StorageTek SL500
     Sun/StorageTek SL3000
     Sun/StorageTek SunVTL

PNP ID's as found in setupapi.dev.log
    ======

;StorageTek manufacturer device list
    [StorageTek.ntamd64]
    %StorageTekMC.DeviceDesc% = StorageTekMC_Inst, SCSI\ChangerSTK_____L180____________
    %StorageTekMC.DeviceDesc% = StorageTekMC_Inst, SCSI\ChangerSTK_____L700____________
    %StorageTekMC.DeviceDesc% = StorageTekMC_Inst, SCSI\ChangerSTK_____L20_____________
    %StorageTekMC.DeviceDesc% = StorageTekMC_Inst, SCSI\ChangerSTK_____L40_____________
    %StorageTekMC.DeviceDesc% = StorageTekMC_Inst, SCSI\ChangerSTK_____L80_____________
    %StorageTekMC.DeviceDesc% = StorageTekMC_Inst, SCSI\ChangerSTK_____SL500___________
    %StorageTekMC.DeviceDesc% = StorageTekMC_Inst, SCSI\ChangerSTK_____VTL_____________
    %StorageTekMC.DeviceDesc% = StorageTekMC_Inst, SCSI\ChangerSTK_____SL3000__________

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, November 7, 2013 10:41 PM