none
MDT 2013 select disk number RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a problem with selecting the right disk. Our servers have muliple disk one logical and one or more LUN's. Do i need to remove the mass storgae drivers from Windows PE or is there a way that MDT automaticaly select the first logical disk? During the enumerating of the attached disks the LUN's where detected before the Logical (RAID disk) in the servers so the logicl disk number is n+1, where n is the number of LUN's attached to the system.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 8:47 AM

Answers

• Hi Jurjen,

Especially with lun's I would not take any risk, and make sure they are disconnected before you proceed with the deployment of an operating system.

Making sure is always better than assuming something will work as you have projected it to be. Ask yourself how big the impact will be, if god forbid, even if you have not embedded the storage drivers in WinPE, your lun would get wiped by accident?

Not to sound patronizing, It's not MDT's problem, that it detects the lun, so to my opinion, you shouldn't try to solve it in with MDT but in another way. Configuring disk options and numbers will not solve the problem, since you cannot assume that for each machine, the detection of the disks and lun's occurs in the same way.

To motivate this, I've written a little blog about 'best practices' for OSD, and MDT and SCCM are just deployment tools, nothing more nothing less. They are not a Group Policy Object manager, no Active Directory Domain Controller, and certainly no Storage Manager.

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

• Marked as answer by Jurjen PR Noor Wednesday, January 22, 2014 7:04 AM
    Thursday, January 16, 2014 6:27 PM