wsus server not getting the updates after wsutil.exe reset . RRS feed

• Question

• Team,

Due to the space issue on wsus server , I have cleared the wsuscontent folder and run the wsusutil.exe RESET command. But I am not able to get any updates in wsuscontent folder. Server running is 2008 enterprise server.Need your valuable inputs

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 5:57 AM

Answers

• Hi,

When you run a reset, windows checks that every update metadata row in the database has corresponding update files stored in the file system. If update files are missing or have been corrupted, WSUS downloads the update files again.

I’m not quite sure the former updates are missing or WSUS server no longer download updates.

Whatever, SoftwareDistribution.log should contain information we need.

Path: C:\Program Files\Update Services\LogFiles

In the console, is the server in a downloading status? If so, we should wait some more time.

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by Daniel JiSun Friday, June 20, 2014 1:19 AM
    Wednesday, June 11, 2014 2:16 AM
  • Due to the space issue on wsus server , I have cleared the wsuscontent folder and run the wsusutil.exe RESET command.

Notwithstanding your current issue getting anything downloaded at all....

A grave, but common, misconception about this unsupported (and generally dysfunctional) procedure is that it will result in any less consumption of disk space than before you started. In short, it won't.

If the files are in the filesystem it's because they're associated with approved updates. If you delete the ~\WSUSContent folder, and then run wsusutil reset the ONLY thing that's going to happen is you'll clog up your Internet connection for the next several days/weeks while the (likely dozens) of Gigabytes of files are downloaded again... and in the end, you'll be right back where you started from, with a full disk drive.

In fact, the lack of updates in your ~\WSUSContent folder may not be an abnormal indication at all -- it may simply be a function of how long it's going to take to rebuild the WSUS file repository.

To Daniel's point... What does the WSUS console report for the DOWNLOAD STATUS of the WSUS server?

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Friday, June 13, 2014 7:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

When you run a reset, windows checks that every update metadata row in the database has corresponding update files stored in the file system. If update files are missing or have been corrupted, WSUS downloads the update files again.

I’m not quite sure the former updates are missing or WSUS server no longer download updates.

Whatever, SoftwareDistribution.log should contain information we need.

Path: C:\Program Files\Update Services\LogFiles

In the console, is the server in a downloading status? If so, we should wait some more time.

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 2:16 AM
  • Due to the space issue on wsus server , I have cleared the wsuscontent folder and run the wsusutil.exe RESET command.

Notwithstanding your current issue getting anything downloaded at all....

A grave, but common, misconception about this unsupported (and generally dysfunctional) procedure is that it will result in any less consumption of disk space than before you started. In short, it won't.

If the files are in the filesystem it's because they're associated with approved updates. If you delete the ~\WSUSContent folder, and then run wsusutil reset the ONLY thing that's going to happen is you'll clog up your Internet connection for the next several days/weeks while the (likely dozens) of Gigabytes of files are downloaded again... and in the end, you'll be right back where you started from, with a full disk drive.

In fact, the lack of updates in your ~\WSUSContent folder may not be an abnormal indication at all -- it may simply be a function of how long it's going to take to rebuild the WSUS file repository.

To Daniel's point... What does the WSUS console report for the DOWNLOAD STATUS of the WSUS server?

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Friday, June 13, 2014 7:09 PM