none
part-time working resources and task duration RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi everybody,

I'm afraid I'm missing something in the way that MS Project manages task duration. I have a small software development project, where all the activities are performed by the same developer. The guy is a consultant and works only part-time for my company. For each activity we know the exact amount of work hours, and I need project to calculate the duration of each task and create a schedule according to resource availability.

Since he's working part time, I expect that an activity of 10 days has a duration of 20 days, but for strange reasons this seems (almost) impossible to get (Manually scheduling is turned off).

I tried to do things by the book, and I set Max Units to 50% on View > Resource sheet, but with no luck. Duration does not change.

Then I tried with a custom calendar for that specific resource. I changed back Max units to 100% on Resource Sheet and I made a calendar resource with a work schedule of 4 hours a day for 5 days a week No effect.

The only way to get the expected result is to set units for each task to 50%. Unfortunately this is inconvenient because some activities should take place in the same period of time (the first should take 3 hours a day and the second 1 hour, so 75%-25% in units), and setting 37,5% and 12,5% would be rather confusing.

Obviously I am missing something, but I cannot understand where and how.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Michelangelo

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 4:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The best solution is in your post:

Then I tried with a custom calendar for that specific resource. I changed back Max units to 100% on Resource Sheet and I made a calendar resource with a work schedule of 4 hours a day for 5 days a week No effect

What do you mean, No Effect? The visible expression for duraton will be the same but the finish of the task will be later!

Greetings,

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 5:18 PM
  • Hi Jan,

thank you very much for answering. Yeah, you're right. I did not notice that the duration of the summary task changes when I add a custom calendar. Still, I am puzzled because I don't understand why task duration stays the same and only the summary task duration is updated. Oh well.

Thank you again,

Best,

Michelangelo

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 1:00 PM
  • Hi,

Duration is the number of minutes any work is planned on the task, NOT the common belief that it is Finish less Start. Changing the calendar does not change the number of miutes etc., so duration will not change ... but finish date will. In other words if you like, duration ignores the nonworking tome introduced by the calendar8

Greetings,

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 1:10 PM
  • Hi Jan,

thank you very much. Everything makes sense now.

Best regards,

Michelangelo

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 1:53 PM