none
Outlook Clients Still Connecting to Exchange w/ No CAS Role

Question

• This baffles me. Background: We have a DAG environment consist of 3-2010 Exchange (MX1, MX2, and MX3) and 1-2010 Exchange (MX4 - not part of DAG) which we use for disabled accounts. MX4 had all the role installed but recently has been acting up with BSOD. I tried removing the CAS role and it looks like it did because it's not showing up anymore when I run the command "Get-ClientAccessServer | fl Name,AutodiscoverServiceInternalUri" but during the uninstall of the CAS role, MX4 blue-screened again so I'm not sure if the role and other services uninstalled completely. When I power down MX4, outlook clients got disconnected and are trying to connect to MX4. I tried creating a new outlook profile but had the same problem. Is there a way to disable or completely remove MX4 as a CAS and have it stop responding to outlook clients? Thanks

Will this work? 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/exchange/client-access-servers/Set-RpcClientAccess?view=exchange-ps

Thursday, May 24, 2018 6:48 PM

Answers

• Hi GJL38,

Any update now?

If the above suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as answer for helping more people.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by GJL38 Friday, May 25, 2018 5:58 PM
    Friday, May 25, 2018 8:19 AM
  • I've updated the RPC Client to point to a different MX and it's working now. I also have to delete old AD/MX records using ADSI. Thanks

It was a nerve-racking after I made the change because outlook clients got disconnected and it took a while to re-establish a connection.

Friday, May 25, 2018 5:58 PM

All replies

• Please check RPCCLientAccessServer and if it set to MX4 then change it to the other CAS servers.

Get-Mailboxdatabase |fl RPCCLient*, Name

If it is then change the settings.

Also, make sure to recreate profile for Outlook 2003 and outlook 2007 and onwards run profile repair.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/exchange/mailbox-databases-and-servers/set-mailboxdatabase?view=exchange-ps

• Proposed as answer by Nothing 123 Friday, May 25, 2018 6:34 AM
    • Edited by Nothing 123 Friday, May 25, 2018 6:34 AM
    Friday, May 25, 2018 6:34 AM
  • Hi GJL38,

Any update now?

If the above suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as answer for helping more people.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, May 25, 2018 8:19 AM
  • I've updated the RPC Client to point to a different MX and it's working now. I also have to delete old AD/MX records using ADSI. Thanks

It was a nerve-racking after I made the change because outlook clients got disconnected and it took a while to re-establish a connection.

Friday, May 25, 2018 5:58 PM