pvad RRS feed

• Question

• can somebody provide a link to PVAD explanation. Or just type couple of lines well explaining it.

After reading a while ago about the path to PVAD from Tim M I have no problem with sequencing using simple C:\package_name

PVAD.

Now just want to quickly refresh technical part of PVAD.

Thanks.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 2:20 PM

Answers

• The Primary Virtual Application Directory (PVAD) is the folder where the application is installed.

Everyting installed or copied outside this folder is called the VFS.

Before App-V 5 HF3 the sequencer needed to specify this directory. In SP3 this is a random/hidden folder and everything is installed in the VFS. This is now a best practice.

So if you use App-V 5 SP3 don't worry about the PVAD unless your application does not work after sequencing.

• Marked as answer by pob579 Wednesday, January 14, 2015 12:48 PM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2015 9:05 AM
  • My Appv infra is 5 SP2. No plans now to go to SP3.

But I will read what's new in SP3

Thanks.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Watch out for that nasty bug in SP2 that adds an explicit access rule to the access list on the package folder.  Depending on how many users you have, you can quickly fill up an access list and it will prevent all users from running the application, as it tries to add the user to the acl even if it's already there, and failure prevents the app from running.  It will throw a 509 error indicating there might be network problems...

• Marked as answer by pob579 Wednesday, January 14, 2015 5:00 PM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2015 4:33 PM

All replies

• The Primary Virtual Application Directory (PVAD) is the folder where the application is installed.

Everyting installed or copied outside this folder is called the VFS.

Before App-V 5 HF3 the sequencer needed to specify this directory. In SP3 this is a random/hidden folder and everything is installed in the VFS. This is now a best practice.

So if you use App-V 5 SP3 don't worry about the PVAD unless your application does not work after sequencing.

• Marked as answer by pob579 Wednesday, January 14, 2015 12:48 PM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2015 9:05 AM

Thanks.

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 12:48 PM

Thanks.

Watch out for that nasty bug in SP2 that adds an explicit access rule to the access list on the package folder.  Depending on how many users you have, you can quickly fill up an access list and it will prevent all users from running the application, as it tries to add the user to the acl even if it's already there, and failure prevents the app from running.  It will throw a 509 error indicating there might be network problems...

• Marked as answer by pob579 Wednesday, January 14, 2015 5:00 PM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2015 4:33 PM
  • Good to know.

Currently 50 APPV users another 50 on RDS running the APPV package

Max 400 users for the next year. Sure would update to SP3 after couple of HFs

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 5:00 PM