none
Actual Cost/Work in the Future (The Magical MS Project Time Machine - Actual Work In the Future) RRS feed

• Question

• There is a question from 2011 regarding actual work/cost in the future entitled ' The Magical MS Project Time Machine - Actual Work In the Future"

Has there been any progress on spreading the actual $$ spent between actual start and the status date?

Example:

Original (Baseline ) Plan - 20d duration, $100 on a cost resource. I'm 10 days in with a remaining duration of 10d, but I have spent $75.00 to date and have a remaining cost of $25.00.  I have all of the automatic calculation options unchecked, except "Edits to the total actual cost will be spread to the status date."  $25.00 is showing in the the future. 

Thank you for your time, 

Sandy Strong

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 6:59 PM

All replies

• Sandy,

cost type resources are a special case. Mark the task on track so that you have 10 days actual and 10 days remaining. Switch to the task usage view. In the grid, hide the work and display the cost and actual cost. Type in the actual cost on whatever actual duration days it occurred. You could make it $7.50 each day, or $75 on the last day. Then type in the remaining cost on whatever remaining days it will occur.

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 10:51 PM
  • That was not the answer I was hoping for, as it is a great deal of work on large projects.  I'm not quite sure what the purpose of the check box "Edits to total actual cost will be spread to the status date"?  You would think that the software would be written to realize actual work cannot be in the future.  Thank you for your time.
    Wednesday, April 24, 2019 12:55 PM
  • I meant actual cost rather than actual work.
    Wednesday, April 24, 2019 12:56 PM