Windows searchd does not work on RDS Server 2019 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello 

We have installed a new RDS server in our domain with windows server 2019 as VM server on Hyper-v Cluster 2019.
    Before we install and configure the RDS role, we installed the windows search feature.
    The indexing and windows search was working fine till we installed the RDS role.

Could you please explain to us why the windows search does not working anymore? 

Thanks and best regards, 
    Islam El Ashkarworking
    Tuesday, June 18, 2019 12:41 PM

Answers

• Hello Perry,

Thanks a lot for your replay.

Do you mean Outlook search return results, but search results were incomplete?

Yes. 

So, you configured accounts on both Win 10 and RDS, but search issue only occurs on RDS, right?

Yes, that is right.

Besides, can you search normally on the web mail?

No. i cannot search on the OWA. 

I found the problem, the exchange server search catalog was corrupted.

I reseed the search catalog then the Outlook search is working now on the RDS and on the OWA.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/reseed-the-search-catalog-exchange-2013-help

Thanks your help.

Best regatrds, 

Islam El Ashkar

Islam EL Ashkar VEMAG Computer AG

Thursday, June 27, 2019 1:50 PM

All replies

• Hi Islam,

Do you mean Outlook search not working? Can you search normally on other applications or File Explorer

What's your account type? Exchange, POP or IMAP?

For Exchange account, do you have cached Exchange mode enabled?

After installing the RDS role, is Windows search service feature still running?

If this issue only occurs to Outlook client, we can create a new profile first to test the results.

Besides, we can also rebuild indexing to see if there are any improvements.

To do this, please go to Control Panel > Indexing Options > Advanced > Rebuild.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Thursday, June 20, 2019 6:30 AM
    Wednesday, June 19, 2019 2:33 AM
  • Hi Perry,

Thanks for your replay

In the beginning I installed a new VM Server with
    Windows 2019 Standard, then I installed and configured the RDS role, After that I installed the windows search feature and enabled the windows search service. I tired the file search in windows explorer, it is working normally and the indexing settings looks like following:

After that I installed MS Office 2019 Professional Plus, Then I tested the search in my Outlook client “account
    type Exchange” and “cached Exchange mode is NOT enabled”,  the Outlook search doesn’t work. Then I opened the indexing again to check the settings after "I installed the RDS role and the MS Office 2019 Professional Plus", I found
    that the indexing is "0" and there is no any directory added to the indexing:

and i am not able to add any directory to the indexing:

I can still search normally on File Exploror, but in Outlook Client i cannot search.

I tried to rebuild indexing, but there is no any improvements.

I hope this Information will be enough for you to help me to solve this issue.

Thanks and best regards,

Islam El Ashkar

Thursday, June 20, 2019 8:08 AM
  • Hi Islam El Ashkar,

Thank you for your detailed update.

Does this issue occurs to all users?

>>and “cached Exchange mode is NOT enabled”,  the Outlook search doesn’t work.

If you are running online mode, then searches of your mailbox are performed on the server.  If you are working under cached Exchange mode, mailbox searches are performed by windows search service on the OST file.

Please switch to cached Exchange mode and check if search works.

Besides, what's the detailed version of Office client. I'd like to recommend you install available updates to see if there are any improvements.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, June 21, 2019 9:04 AM
  • Hi Islam El Ashkar,

Any updates with this issue?

Regards,

Perry

Monday, June 24, 2019 4:45 AM
  • Hello Perry,

- Yes, this issue occurs to all users “the cache mode is disabled for all users”. For your information, If we search in Outlook for any e-mail “the result shows items till year 2016 only”.

- We enabled temporary the cache mode for one user, the outlook search is working fine on the RDS server “the same like on a desktop with Windows 10”.

But according to our company’s policy , the cache mode must be disable on the RDS server because of the disk space.

- The windows server 2019 is up-to-date, and the Office 2019 professional plus is the latest version 1905 (11629.20246).

Hope with this information you can assist us to solve this issue.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Islam El Ashkar

Monday, June 24, 2019 2:03 PM
  • To further understand this issue, I also tested this on my Outlook client. If I enabled Online mode, Outlook items still show under Indexing Options. Another two things I need to confirm with you:

>>For your information, If we search in Outlook for any e-mail “the result shows items till year 2016 only”.

>>We enabled temporary the cache mode for one user, the outlook search is working fine on the RDS server “the same like on a desktop with Windows 10”.

So, you configured accounts on both Win 10 and RDS, but search issue only occurs on RDS, right?

Regards,

Perry

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 5:00 AM
  • Hello Perry,

Yes. 

Yes, that is right.

No. i cannot search on the OWA. 

I found the problem, the exchange server search catalog was corrupted.

I reseed the search catalog then the Outlook search is working now on the RDS and on the OWA.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/reseed-the-search-catalog-exchange-2013-help

Thanks your help.

Best regatrds, 

Islam El Ashkar

Thursday, June 27, 2019 1:50 PM
  • Thank you for sharing the information here. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread :)

Regards,

Perry

Friday, June 28, 2019 1:06 AM