• restricting specific user or computer accounts from accessing the internet

prioritising bandwidth for certain business applications

running internet bandwidth and usage reports

security protection for exchange server 2010 including mobile email

allowing specific vlans access to the internet

windows servers 2008, cisco 2800, DELL powerconnects 2848 

Monday, May 2, 2011 7:59 PM

Answers

• With a username like 'nvisibl' makes me question the effort I should put into my response. Just saying... ;)

ok, so here goes --

A) Use ISA Server for this.

B) Best handled via QoS.

C) Usage Reports are always tricky. For Internet USage, turn to your ISP. But if you want to zoom in on the actual network nodes within your Org - look at MRTG.

D) Forefront has a specific solution for Exchange and SharePoint. Look at Antigen and the ForeFront Suite.

E) Best handled at the switch level.

I am sure this leaves some questions. Feel free to shoot them over.

Regards.

*a
    • Proposed as answer by Alex Cohen Tuesday, May 3, 2011 7:27 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Alex Cohen Tuesday, May 3, 2011 8:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ronnie Whittaker Tuesday, May 3, 2011 9:26 PM
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 7:26 PM
  • A) yes, TMG is the new ISA. But its new. So, if you rather support ISA - that will do a great job too. You may find a 3rd party vendor to sell it to you in the form of an appliance. And get expert support, an additional layer of support - someone who has already called Microsoft a thousand times, and save you that step. Just a thought.

B) Yes. It is. And not a bad one to use your MS infrastructure for. MS is getting so much better at this. Solid feature.

C) Yep, MRTG is simple enough to use. If you dont like it, try PRTG which is a native windows version. And are FREE. :)

D) ON pricing, just remember - when MS is not best in the industry, they are usually second, and the cheapest. Exchange and Sharepoint are mamoth products, who better to trust the stability of that product to other than MS. (wish they would send me a toaster or something for this pitch!) ;)

E) Welcome!

Regards.

*a
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 8:42 PM

All replies

• With a username like 'nvisibl' makes me question the effort I should put into my response. Just saying... ;)

ok, so here goes --

A) Use ISA Server for this.

B) Best handled via QoS.

C) Usage Reports are always tricky. For Internet USage, turn to your ISP. But if you want to zoom in on the actual network nodes within your Org - look at MRTG.

D) Forefront has a specific solution for Exchange and SharePoint. Look at Antigen and the ForeFront Suite.

E) Best handled at the switch level.

I am sure this leaves some questions. Feel free to shoot them over.

Regards.

*a
    • Proposed as answer by Alex Cohen Tuesday, May 3, 2011 7:27 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Alex Cohen Tuesday, May 3, 2011 8:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ronnie Whittaker Tuesday, May 3, 2011 9:26 PM
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 7:26 PM
  • thanks alex

a) looks like ISA server is now re branded or bundled into Forefront Threat Management Gateway 2010

b) i'm glad this is a service running on 2008 server, save me asking the business for more money  :)

c) yes i'm not hitting the nail with this one, also had recommendations of EasyIDS .. they all look good, i'm looking for something very simple and robust as i don't really have the resource to tinker about too much with report templates and configurations

d) Forefront looks to be the one, i'll need to check out the prices, pity the exchange and sharepoint protections are separate products. would be great to have the one product handle exchange, sharepoint and the ISA aspect 

e) thanks

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 8:00 PM
  • A) yes, TMG is the new ISA. But its new. So, if you rather support ISA - that will do a great job too. You may find a 3rd party vendor to sell it to you in the form of an appliance. And get expert support, an additional layer of support - someone who has already called Microsoft a thousand times, and save you that step. Just a thought.

B) Yes. It is. And not a bad one to use your MS infrastructure for. MS is getting so much better at this. Solid feature.

C) Yep, MRTG is simple enough to use. If you dont like it, try PRTG which is a native windows version. And are FREE. :)

D) ON pricing, just remember - when MS is not best in the industry, they are usually second, and the cheapest. Exchange and Sharepoint are mamoth products, who better to trust the stability of that product to other than MS. (wish they would send me a toaster or something for this pitch!) ;)

E) Welcome!

Regards.

*a
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 8:42 PM
  • well if i had a spare toaster i'd give it to you for your great assistance

thank you, you've helped clear the fog

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 9:25 PM