none
Process Explorer crashing randomly

Question

• Hi,

I usually have process explorer running on startup (via the Task scheduler) and I have two system tray icons for it (CPU and Disk).

Recently I've noticed that that the process explorer sometimes crashes. It does so silently and I notice it purely by observing that the two tray icons are gone. I can then start it up again and it works for some time and then it crashes again.

Has anybody experienced this before?

Wednesday, August 29, 2018 12:57 PM

All replies

• This doesn't sound good. Would be helpful to grab a dump file.

If you look in the application event log do you see an "Application Error" event (ID 1000) for this? If so does it indicate whether a dump file was generated?

If not would it be possible to configure your system to generate dump files (see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/wer/collecting-user-mode-dumps)

Cheers

MarkC (MSFT)

Wednesday, August 29, 2018 3:21 PM
  • I have the same Problem (Windos 10, Process Explorer 16.21)
    Monday, December 3, 2018 11:39 AM
  • Hi Jurgen

we never received a dump file from the OP. Is this something you would be able to assist us with? If so could you ping me offline at syssite@microsoft.com and I'll provide you with an upload location.

MarkC (MSFT)

Wednesday, December 5, 2018 1:06 AM
  • Hi Mark,

a couple of days ago I created a debug registry entry for process explorer. I still wait for the next crash.

If the crash happens I will contact you and send you the log-file.

Jürgen

Wednesday, December 5, 2018 9:34 AM
  • That would be great - Really appreciate your help here. Thanks Jurgen :-(
    Wednesday, December 5, 2018 4:04 PM
  • Hi Mark,

I just recognised: ProcessExplorer crashed. But I don't see any crash-dump. Maybe a mistake in filling the registry-entry? Please give me a download-location for sending my registry change for expection.

Jürgen

Thursday, December 6, 2018 10:41 PM