none
Predecessor Indicator Without All the Lines RRS feed

• Question

• I have a project plan with about 1200 lines in it (MS Project Std 2010). In some cases there are tasks that are linked WAY across the project. If I display the predecessor lines in the Gantt Chart it gets very messy and confusing to read. Is there a way to indicate a predecessor for just specific tasks with some sort of notation, like a "callout?" I want the lines to show for everything else. Thanks for the help.

Monday, June 4, 2012 9:25 PM

Answers

• Hi,

After having hidden the dependency lines through Layout, you could display the successors field to the right of the task bar (instead of resource names). That seems nearly equivalent to your suggestion.

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by WayNerd1 Tuesday, June 5, 2012 12:06 PM
    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 7:28 AM

All replies

• >> Is there a way to indicate a predecessor for just specific tasks with some sort of notation, like a "callout?"

To my best knowledge, there is no way to achieve this.

In case you have not tried it yet, I would suggest you hide all the lines. Pls see the following article (section: Change the appearance of link lines between Gantt bars):

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/format-the-bar-chart-of-a-gantt-chart-view-HA010354883.aspx

Monday, June 4, 2012 10:09 PM
  • Hi,

After having hidden the dependency lines through Layout, you could display the successors field to the right of the task bar (instead of resource names). That seems nearly equivalent to your suggestion.

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by WayNerd1 Tuesday, June 5, 2012 12:06 PM
    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 7:28 AM
  • My suggestion would be to (1) change the timescale so that you see most of the project on the screen, (2) filter the schedule for a subset of tasks, and (3) collapse tasks not relevant to the discussion under a summary bar.  The fewer tasks shown the fewer dependency lines will be shown. 
    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 10:49 AM