none
View visibility on Quick Launch Menu RRS feed

• Question

• Project Server 2007 (novice user alert!!):

Hello all.  When I go into PWA, there are views on the left pane: My Work, Project Center, Resource Center, etc.  When I go into Server Settings->Look and Feel->Manage Views, there are additional views such as Resource Plans, Team Tasks, etc.  I created a new view under Team Tasks but I don't know how to access it as it doesn't show up under the Quick Launch settings.  Any ideas?

Monday, August 20, 2012 2:55 PM

All replies

• I think you are mixing two things, Views & quick launch are two different things, the view you created would not be available within quick launch, to add a link to quick launch, Navigate to Server settings >> under Look   and Feel >> Quick Launch & add a link which you want

Note : Close browser & reopen as sometimes without a hard refresh the quick launch changes doesn't appear

Let us know if this helps

Thanks | Sunil Kr Singh | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com

Monday, August 20, 2012 3:31 PM
  •  

Hi,

Left hand side area  of PWA site is "Quick Launch" area. You can configure links using Server Settings>>Quick Launch

Here you can define links to different pages.

Views defined under “Manage views” are not related to quick launch. Views are specific  area. As per my understanding I assume your goal is to find out where you can see "Team Task" view which you have created

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn
    Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you

Monday, August 20, 2012 3:36 PM
  • Thanks Sunil and Hrishi on correcting my misunderstanding.  Hrishi, you are correct.  My goals is to find out hwere I can see "Team Task" view.  Any direction you can provide is much appreciated.
    Monday, August 20, 2012 4:21 PM
  • Hi ,

You can view this on My work,  Insert Row and "Insert Team Tasks"

See another discussion regarding Team assignments

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectserver2010general/thread/13b98eda-a6af-4e4a-a94e-ee4adddd0df5

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn
    Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you

Monday, August 20, 2012 4:51 PM
  • Hrishi, I'm trying to do resource management so I need to see details for all resources, not just my work and regardless of team assignments.  The resource availability view has the information I need but the layout is not user friendly to import for further reporting.  I was playing around with the views to see if I could get the data in proper format.  On a separate thread, I'm exploring the possibility of connecting directly to the underlying tables in MS Project to pull the data using custom sql reports.  I would like to pull a granular report that shows: Date, Resource, Project, Work.  Then I could rollup the data in any form I would like as well as join it to other db's.  Hopefully this all made sense :)
    Monday, August 20, 2012 5:59 PM
  • Hello Shaun

Its pretty much possible, for what you describe can be achieved through views as well as as a custom SSRS report by tapping data from Project Server Reporting Db, can you elaborate a bit on what all data are you looking to see, with that we should be able to suggest wether to go for SSRS report or can be achieved in view itself ?

in the mean time i would suggest going through the Reporting DB schema available as part of project server 2010 SDK download here : http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15511 

Monday, August 20, 2012 6:19 PM
  • Sunil, I'm using MS Project Server 2007.  Is this capability available for this version?

Here's the scenario: 

-There a timesheet tracking system that has Project, Resources, Budgeted Hours By Resource, Hours Spent (and through calculations, it can determine remaining hours per project per resource)

-In MS Project Server 2007, we have all of the schedule information by project by resource.

The goal is to merge this data.  They're trying to prevent resources from having to enter actuals in two sources so I was thinking if I could link the timesheet db to the project server db, I could pull a report that had planned and actual hours by resources, by project, by month for current year.  Some projects span multiple years, so I would need to factor in hours charged already in order to determine the remaining hours based upon actuals.

Monday, August 20, 2012 9:44 PM
  • Hello Shaun

So far we were trying to track down of possibility for displaying data in views / via custom reports, now while you mention of having a custom tool capturing time sheet info & merge it with Project server data, by merging the data i am assuming that you just want to report on the data & not really change any 0f EPM data (which is not allowed as reporting DB can only be tapped as read only),

this can be easily done using custom SSRS report since you already have the data from custom tool, you just need to combine it with Project server data by tapping into Reporting DB (RDB), you would only need a common unique key to combine them (which can be done easily using SQL query) RDB contains most of the information for project / resource / assignments / actual / remaining / forecasted, i would suggest going through the Project server 2007 SDK which contains the reporting DB schema explained & you can pull relevant data from RDB

SDK can be downloaded here : http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=79

Or if you need specific columns let us know & we can help you find out which table / view to tap the info from

Let us know if this helps

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 6:34 AM